Thread: Gnome Problem

Gnome Problem

I'm using Debian Sid with Gnome 2.6 and my girlfriend was using the computer last. Well after we left, I haven't used the tower system in a few days.

Some how she got the top panel on the left hand side of the screen with Giant icons on it and I can't seem to move it back to the top. I can't grab it to move it because it opens an icon.

Anybody know how I can get it back on the top? It's pissing me off and the icons are huge!

Thnx.

Re:Gnome Problem

Try removing/deleting some icons, to make room for you to move the panel.

You can drag-n-drop launchers to the desktop to copy them there, and then delete them as cassius said. After you delete an icon or two you should have enough room to grab the panel and move it back up to the top. You can then copy the icons back to the panel by drag-n-drop again. Alternatively, try right-clicking on the edge of the panel (away from an icon if you can find space) and go to the panel properties...there may be an option to have it on the top..

Thnx for the replies. I was able to delete some icons to move the panel back to the top...everything is back to normal. :P

Another problem this time. It happen while the grandkids was using it.

I'm not sure what they did, but now when I minimize an open window, it goes down to the bottom tray but disappears. How can I get the windows to appear in the bottom tray panel?

I tried moving the .gnome2 directory and restarting to create a new one but when I minimize a window, it still disappears.

Thnx.

Sounds like they trashed the window list applet. Right-click on the bottom panel and select "Add to Panel..." and from there find "Window List." I'm using 2.8, so it may be subtly different for you. Alternatively, if you're looking to save some space you might try adding "Window Selector."

Thnx. That fixed it! ;D

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=6;threadid=9841;start=0#msg90703 date=1101129199]
    Sounds like they trashed the window list applet. Right-click on the bottom panel and select "Add to Panel..." and from there find "Window List." I'm using 2.8, so it may be subtly different for you. Alternatively, if you're looking to save some space you might try adding "Window Selector."
    [/quote]
    Now I've just did an apt-get dist-upgrade and after everything is done. Same thing happens as above, but adding the Window List nothing happens. The app still disappear when minimized. It upgraded gnome to ver 2.8.

Any suggestions?

Thnx.

I don't know what happen but its fixed now. I guess after rebooting did it! ;D