Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

SMTP Auth?

Thread: SMTP Auth?

SMTP Auth?

Hey all

So I have very little experience in the world of setting up an SMTP server, but I've made some headway. In the process of exhausting google, I've managed to get my SMTP server to a state where I can send email from any machine connected to my network (ie, within the 192.168.1.* domain). That's fantastic, as it means my laptop can now connect to my server to send email. However, I've been trying to take the next step and have been seeing some trouble.

This server config works great for when I'm kicking around the house, but ideally I'd also like to use it from school. I'd like to be able to log on to the school's wireless network and send emails by connecting to my server at home. I already have a dns associated with my server and I can ssh and ftp into it so I'm able to target it without a problem. What I'd like to do is configure sendmail so that instead of looking at the IP you're coming from, it asks for a username and password. I know it has something to do with SASL, and I've checked to make sure that sendmail is configured to use SASL and that saslauthd is running.

Using FC2. Any help is appreciated.

sendmail.mc:

[REMOVED CAUSE I SWITCHED TO EASIER-TO-USE POSTFIX]

???

Re:SMTP Auth?

I know this isn't the answer you are probably looking for but I still want to say it. You might want to move to postfix or qmail. They have better security histories and have simpler configuration files. I have done SMTP auth with postfix in a few diffrent ways (including using a database for authentication). If your not married to sendmail then I suggest one of the alternitives.

Ok I took your advice and installed postfix, and it's gotten me a hell of a lot further than sendmail ever did. Thanks! But now there's a different sort of problem that I can't for the life of me figure out.

Ok so postfix is up and running. I type "telnet localhost 25" and it greets me with its postfixy banner. I can test my auth services and send mail from the box so it's all good.

Then I try to telnet from another machine on my network (ie, mimick a mail client connecting to the server). I take down my firewall with /etc/init.d/iptables stop, and then this goes on:
    Code:
    [conor@conor-dt]$ telnet 192.168.1.108 25
    Trying 192.168.1.108...
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
    Now I ssh to my server, and issue an ifconfig:
    Code:
    [conor@localhost conor]$ sudo /sbin/ifconfig
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:03:47:0C:85:4C
              inet addr:192.168.1.108  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::203:47ff:fe0c:854c/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:1622872 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:7500032 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:326076 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:692460770 (660.3 Mb)  TX bytes:1654515931 (1577.8 Mb)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:17409 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:17409 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:1007273 (983.6 Kb)  TX bytes:1007273 (983.6 Kb)
    So the IP's right. From my ssh session into my server, I issue the following:
    Code:
    [conor@localhost conor]$ nmap -p 25 localhost

Starting nmap 3.50 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-10-05 18:11 EDT
    Interesting ports on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1):
    PORT   STATE SERVICE
    25/tcp open  smtp

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.358 seconds

[conor@localhost conor]$ nmap -p 25 192.168.1.108

Starting nmap 3.50 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-10-05 18:11 EDT
    Interesting ports on 192.168.1.108:
    PORT   STATE  SERVICE
    25/tcp closed smtp

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.376 seconds
    Can anyone help me out as to why port 25 is closed to anyone outside of 127.0.0.1? Is it my postfix config? I was under the impression that anyone can connect to it, but only those that authenticate can use it. Am I drastically wrong here?

Hi!

I had a similar problem with postfix (check out my PET btw) anyways, I'd say that try nmap from a different machine than your localhost. I usually ssh into a remote shell and try nmap'ing.

If that works, then have you checked your Port Forwarding ? Is it really forwarding 25 to 192.168.1.108 ? If it's not, then maybe that's what causing the problem.

HTH

Shebang it helped indeed! I checked out your PET as you recommended and found my inet_interfaces was set to localhost....kind of obvious now that I look at it, but it had me stumped.

Thank you both so much for this...I can finally send email again! Much karma to all!

It shocks me that port 25 isn't blocked...

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=4;threadid=9839;start=0#msg89309 date=1097017293]
    Shebang it helped indeed! I checked out your PET as you recommended and found my inet_interfaces was set to localhost....kind of obvious now that I look at it, but it had me stumped.

Thank you both so much for this...I can finally send email again! Much karma to all!
    [/quote]

Glad it worked out for you! (w00t -- about my PET).. Karma to you for saying my PET Helped!

[quote author=Countach44 link=board=4;threadid=9839;start=0#msg89310 date=1097018200]
    It shocks me that port 25 isn't blocked...
    [/quote]

Out of curiosity, why's that? My next step is going to be accepting only SSL connections through port 465 (but I'm going to savour a working email server by sending some email first ).

Lots of places block port 25 for unauthorized servers...

Good Guru

Not mine. Comcast in CA. Wide open except speed cap which @Home and AT&T didn't used to do.