Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video capture cards

Mentor

Video capture cards

I'm looking for a decent, yet inexpensive (<$100) video capture card that of course is compatible with Linux. Any suggestions?

Good Guru

Re:Video capture cards

Hauppage cards rock and are very linux/bsd compatible. Tehy arent cheap -- good ones are ~$150-$200. But the last time I looked was a year ago -- prices may have fallen.

This should have what you're looking for.

Hi Cloverm - I have a Haupage bt878 one and it works quite nicely. I have recored stuff off a home movie, the quality needs to be worked out a bit, my wofe it up for me for around $75 - it is no frill (no radio tuner...) but works nicely for video.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=pbharris link=board=3;threadid=9821;start=0#msg89181 date=1096496173]
    Hi Cloverm - I have a Haupage bt878 one and it works quite nicely. I have recored stuff off a home movie, the quality needs to be worked out a bit, my wofe it up for me for around $75 - it is no frill (no radio tuner...) but works nicely for video.
    [/quote]

I have an AverMedia AverTV Stereo that I picked up for about 50 dollars about a year ago (new). It is a bt878 series (if I remember correctly) card, also with out fm tuner. Otherwise, quite affordable and quite useable.

Cheers

Mentor

Thanks for all the advice, I'm getting closer. I really don't need TV or FM tuner. What I'm wondering about is if the capture quality. The Haupage has 25 frames/sec at 320x240 which is below DVD quality. Should I shoot for a better quality card if I want to capture video to burn on DVD?

Kind Mastermind

Here is a site that might shed a little light on some things for you.

Are you going to connect a camcorder with a firewire out to the capture card? If so, you could just buy a firewire card and use it instead. Might be cheaper and easier. On the other hand, if you need to use standard A/V connectors, you will need an actual card that supports that.

Cheers

Well my thoughts go along the same lines as stryder's.

I was wondering if you have firewire capabilities. If so there are options out there for you to capture the video with an external box that converts the inputs to firewire. This is a page I found that has some of the boxes I'm talking about. Kind of expensive but they do great work. Also not sure about the Linux compatability. So you may as well just get a linux friendly card.

Mentor

Firewire is not an option. I need to convert some old VHS tapes to DVD, and I also want to record stuff from my cable box.