Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

GRUB GRUB GRUB

Thread: GRUB GRUB GRUB

GRUB GRUB GRUB

Ok so I finally decided to yank my 60 gigger from my desktop and move it to my server so it can act as a fileserver between my laptop and desktop. I swap my 60 for a 20 on my desktop and put the 60 in to the server. I pop in the FC2 CDs, install all my servery tools, and reboot. Upon reboot, I get either "GRUB" and then nothing (system seems to freeze up), or I get "GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB" repeating infinitely at a million times per second.

I've googled for "GRUB GRUB GRUB" and "GRUB boot problem" and a lot of people seem to have this problem, but everyone fixed it in a different way. I've tried every solution I've come across but nothing seems to work. I've tried booting the rescue CD and reinstalling grub, tried removing the floppy from recognized devices, tried booting the rescue cd with ide=nodma, tried installing with ide=nodma, and tried all of the above with grub on the MBR and on /dev/hda1. Always the same result...GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB.

Has anyone ever seen this? I'm at a loss. It worked just great when the hard drive was in my other box, and before I put the 60 G in I had a 20 G in the server and that was able to do GRUB just fine...it seems to be this particular combo. 60G is hda1 (primary master), secondary master is cdrom and that's all there is.

Re:GRUB GRUB GRUB

hello,
    So it sounds like you never get the boot menu - right?

I have fixed mine (although not the same error as you) by making sure my device map is in sync with the grub.conf file which has always fixed my proplem. I owuld look at that first i guess...

No I'm afraid it doesn't get to the menu. This is on its way in to the menu. And I have looked at the device map and compared it to the config file...it lines up. And the config file looks just like every other working config file I've ever seen so that can't be the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Solution- switch to LILO.

Yeah that's what I was just trying, actually. I booted off the rescue disc, chrooted to my FC2 install, issued a yum install lilo, and that generated a sample lilo.conf file. That looked good, so I copied it to /etc/lilo.conf and ran lilo. Lilo told me all was well and that lilo was installed. Ok great. So I pop the rescue disc out and reboot. As soon as the boot loader comes up, what do I see? GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB! ARRRRRGH!!! What's going on?! I think tonight I'm going to wipe the entire drive and make sure everything's blank...something has clearly gone wrong here.

Good Guru

You needed to do fdisk /mbr first.

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=1;threadid=9812;start=0#msg89159 date=1096423240]
    You needed to do fdisk /mbr first.
    [/quote]
    Yeah. I'd say try reinstalling grub after doing the fdisk /mbr.

Just as a followup, it's been fixed. fdisk /mbr didn't do anything (returned some kind of error...is everyone sure it's fdisk /mbr?) but it did cause me to google which brought me to my next course of action.

-boot up with FC2 rescue cd
    -issue a "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1" to wipe my partition table clean
    -use my desktop to download FC3 test2
    -boot up and install FC3 test2
    -FC3 test2 is in no way ready for use, but it did install a working GRUB
    -Boot up with FC2 cd again and keep the fc3 partitions. Format them so that the filesystem is compatible with fc2, but for the love of God DON'T install a bootloader

Booya. FC3 bootloader booting FC2 system. It's up and running and purring along. Now I just have to get my NFS and sendmail services up and kicking and I'm good to go!

Thanks for the suggestions all.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=1;threadid=9812;start=0#msg89231 date=1096738897]
    Just as a followup, it's been fixed. fdisk /mbr didn't do anything (returned some kind of error...is everyone sure it's fdisk /mbr?) but it did cause me to google which brought me to my next course of action.

-boot up with FC2 rescue cd
    -issue a "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1" to wipe my partition table clean
    -use my desktop to download FC3 test2
    -boot up and install FC3 test2
    -FC3 test2 is in no way ready for use, but it did install a working GRUB
    -Boot up with FC2 cd again and keep the fc3 partitions. Format them so that the filesystem is compatible with fc2, but for the love of God DON'T install a bootloader

Booya. FC3 bootloader booting FC2 system. It's up and running and purring along. Now I just have to get my NFS and sendmail services up and kicking and I'm good to go!

Thanks for the suggestions all.
    [/quote]
    fdisk /mbr is to be used with a dos boot disk. My bad, should have pointed that out.

Good Guru

I thought it's assumed that if it's fdisk /mbr, it's based on DOS. Unix don't use / for an option though. But yeah, should have said that.