Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Moving Server to Gentoo 2004.2

Thread: Moving Server to Gentoo 2004.2

Moving Server to Gentoo 2004.2

So.. I'm moving my server from Slack 10 to gentoo.. why? Because usually
    i like to keep stuff secure and up to date and slack.. i use it for
    my regular machine (not as a desktop) but as a workstation/desktop
    and gentoo has sooo many packages available and package management is easier
    and i prefer compiling to binaries... but i'm not moving so that my system
    is optimized or for any of that stuff.. just for package managemnet
    and hopefully will learn to like/enjoy it...

anyone run their server on gentoo? (i know gorn does) but anyone
    else?

Re:Moving Server to Gentoo 2004.2

My 2 cents:

I know some companies running servers on Gentoo. However, I personally would not do it. My reasoning is that a server's main characteristic should be reliability. I've emerged some packages that break apps or refuse to install until a newer version comes along, and that is just not acceptable for a server.

If I emerge world, and my SMB, Apache or MySQL dies, I'm going to be on po'd guy.

Even though Slackware is not as easy to update, you can be certain that any package included in Current will have been tested thoroughly.

Besides, you can always set up a cron job to use swaret or slapt-get every day to sync with Current.

[quote author=trickster link=board=7;threadid=9799;start=0#msg89027 date=1095899823]
    My 2 cents:

I know some companies running servers on Gentoo. However, I personally would not do it. My reasoning is that a server's main characteristic should be reliability. I've emerged some packages that break apps or refuse to install until a newer version comes along, and that is just not acceptable for a server.

If I emerge world, and my SMB, Apache or MySQL dies, I'm going to be on po'd guy.

Even though Slackware is not as easy to update, you can be certain that any package included in Current will have been tested thoroughly.

Besides, you can always set up a cron job to use swaret or slapt-get every day to sync with Current.

[/quote]

Thanks for the quick opinion! I want to try it and then if it is as you described, then I can always just go back to slack...

I rsync my /home && /backup to my box everynight so that i won't lose any data..

i really appreciate it though.. Thanks!

I would check out Hardend Gentoo, since it is supposed to be a distro focused on security for servers.

[quote author=trickster link=board=7;threadid=9799;start=0#msg89027 date=1095899823]
    My 2 cents:

[/quote]

WEll, http://grumble.mine.nu should give a basic explanation of what happened but my server is running Slack 10 now due to gentoo messing up. :-/

[quote author=Shebang link=board=7;threadid=9799;start=0#msg89048 date=1095985482]
    My 2 cents:

[/quote]

WEll, http://grumble.mine.nu should give a basic explanation of what happened but my server is running Slack 10 now due to gentoo messing up. :-/
    [/quote]
    Seems it is still messed up...