Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Ubuntu Linux - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Linux

Re:Ubuntu Linux

[quote author=trickster link=board=7;threadid=9794;start=0#msg89208 date=1096583522]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=9794;start=0#msg89205 date=1096581297]
    This happened when I installed Ubuntu - as I say, strange but probably not related..

https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1936
    [/quote]
    Sorry about your monitor
    [/quote]

Yeah, and I can't afford a new one since my welfare check hasn't arrived, the governemt wants a refund on my education scholarship.. oh and my rent was increased this week.. and all my clothing is worn out so I have walk around in shorts or naked (and it's approaching freezing winter here).. Life just isn't always peachy, but at least my gf has a old monitor at her mothers place that we are having transported up here and I have an old laptop with a bum battery to play with while I wait.

And Saterday, I fully plan to win the lottery - those 4-5million USD will hit a dry spot..

I hate it when this happens, but at least it didn't explode and hurt anyone, or burn down the apartment like my sister-in-laws TV did a couple of years ago (they escaped unharmed since the TV exploded instead of burning slowly like those things normally do, if it hadn't they would not be around today, so keep those TVs OFF, not on standby during the night okay, saves you money and just might save your life)

Anyways on paper Ubuntu looks great, and I can't wait to see how it performs but in a controlled environment and not on my hardware

Mentor

i'm back on the slackware, ubuntu kept freezing, maybe i'll wait for a couple of months for a more stable version to come out.

I was using a dell latitude and when it sat for a bit it would freeze.

ubuntu did look very promising!

Gnome 2.8 is nice, Im back on Evolution (and it actually works), so far so good....usb scroll mouse works on default too

This is my first debian distro.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=7;threadid=9794;start=0#msg89107 date=1096257410]
    I just installed it. It's Debian, so it needed a small bit of tweaking to get the fonts to not look like my ass
    [/quote]

so what did u do?

http://www.paulandlesley.org/linux/xfree4_tt.html

apt-get msttcorefonts... dont know it thats the best way to do it though.

i just installed it on my ibook g4 and its running very nicely, its a very polished distro and its slick as shit. =P

so far my only beef with it is none of the apps are getting sound out of playing my cds. if i want to hear music ive got to rip it onto the harddrive and then play it. gnome-cd will popup and start playing but no sound ;/

Ive been using it as my desktop OS since late September, no problems here

found a way around it, opened up xmms and configured the cd plugin to play digital extraction instead of analog. now xmms plays my cds, so i did the next best thing and installed BMP for some gtk2 goodness. ;D

[quote author=wza link=board=7;threadid=9794;start=0#msg89451 date=1097419814]
    [quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=7;threadid=9794;start=0#msg89107 date=1096257410]
    I just installed it. It's Debian, so it needed a small bit of tweaking to get the fonts to not look like my ass
    [/quote]

so what did u do?
    [/quote]

Sorry...never saw this post :-[

Code:
    conor@conor-dt ~ $ cat /etc/fonts/local.conf
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
    <fontconfig>
      <include ignore_missing="yes">/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/fonts.conf</include>
    <!-- Uncomment below to enable bitmapped fonts -->

<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>
    <!-- Uncomment below to enable subpixel rendering -->

<match target="font">
        <test qual="all" name="rgba">
          <const>unknown</const>
        </test>
        <edit name="rgba" mode="assign"><const>rgb</const></edit>
      </match>

<!-- Uncomment below to enable the freetype autohinter module -->

<match target="font">
        <edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
          <bool>true</bool>
        </edit>
      </match>

</fontconfig>
    And Ubuntu has been very good to me. Best I've ever used!

Mentor

i've been back on ubuntu since they released the final version.

I really like it, i would like it better if i could get totem working or even get mplayer installed.