Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Linux

Re:Ubuntu Linux

[quote author=boblucci link=board=7;threadid=9794;start=0#msg90528 date=1100447977]
    i've been back on ubuntu since they released the final version.

I really like it, i would like it better if i could get totem working or even get mplayer installed.

[/quote]

add this to your sources.conf deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat testing main

and to get totem working apt-get for totem-xine mplayer is there too ;D

[quote author=The Great Mojo Jojo link=board=7;threadid=9794;start=30#msg90529 date=1100457052]
    [quote author=boblucci link=board=7;threadid=9794;start=0#msg90528 date=1100447977]
    i've been back on ubuntu since they released the final version.

I really like it, i would like it better if i could get totem working or even get mplayer installed.

[/quote]

add this to your sources.conf deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat testing main

and to get totem working apt-get for totem-xine mplayer is there too ;D
    [/quote]

Yeah totem-xine is great. However, with very recent versions of gstreamer, totem-gstreamer has played most of what I need too. This is a good sign!

Mentor

Since I've heard so many raves about it, I've decided to gove it a shot. I'm downloading the 64 bit version right now. I wasn't totally happy with the 64 bit version of SuSE 9.2, I'm hoping that something better is out there. The 32 bit version of SuSE 9.2 is quite good, but I want to take advantage of my new 64 bit setup. FC3 64-bit just didn't cut it for me. I have faith in Debian, let's see what Ubuntu can do. I'll post my (very subjective) observations.

Good Guru

I am running it right now with a handful of fatal errors. For some reason, I have a terrible time with Totem and anything GNOME for media. That includes rhythmbox. They are totally borked. I do like xine, but prefer the integration of totem/rhytmbox alot more. If I want to switch to a qt based solution, I may as well use kde. Kde is just as good. I just prefer the methods of GNOME at doing the desktop.

And if you want, yes, you can get KDE for Ubuntu.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=7;threadid=9794;start=30#msg90769 date=1101344855]
    I am running it right now with a handful of fatal errors. For some reason, I have a terrible time with Totem and anything GNOME for media.
    [/quote]

Sounds like a gstreamer problem. Ubuntu installs totem with a gstreamer backend by default. Try opening up a terminal and running "gst-register-0.8" and see if that doesn't help. If it doesn't, open up Synaptic and install everything under the sun related to gstreamer...that should fix your rhythmbox issues. To fix your totem problems, open up Synaptic and install totem-xine (totem that uses the xine backend...totem-gstreamer just isn't quite there yet if you ask me). You'll have to be using the Universe repository.

Good Guru

Thanks for the tips, but that didnt work. I am on FC3 now, and things work now. I have to say that most of the breakage with Unintu occurred when I went beyond the universe and main repos.

after trying ubuntu i thought id give yellowdog 4.0 a shot on my ibook, and while there were some things i did like, like graphics they added for brightness/volume/ejection keys and the sound was good, the video was terrible. for some reason yellowdog struggled to make X work, i tried screwin around with the settings and different drivers but it was still terrible video quality. ubuntu is going back on as i type. i have to say out of the 3 latest distros ive tried: fc3, yd4, and ubuntu, ubuntu wins. its up to date and very well polished/put together. and the install was even easier than that of fedora/yellowdog. i probably had to touched the keyboard like 2-3x and that was to hit enter. ubuntu rocks. im downloading the live cd to let people try it out on ther machines to get some linux converts.

What benefit does Ubuntu have, over other more mature distributions?

[quote author=trickster link=board=7;threadid=9794;start=30#msg90962 date=1102187183]
    What benefit does Ubuntu have, over other more mature distributions?
    [/quote]

If you're a Gnome user, then Ubuntu is for you. It's made by some of the same people who hack on Gnome itself, so its designed to take advantage of all Gnome's neat features as well as including some other stuff to supplement the default Gnome install. Virtually everything on this distro worked out of the box. Multimedia was a little sketchy, but that's just because someone made the decision to go with totem-gstreamer which wasn't mature at the time of release. Installing totem-xine fixed all my video issues (never had any audio issues). Additionally, gnome-volume-manager worked out of the box without a hitch, meaning I plugged in my mp3 player into a fresh install, et voila...it automatically mounted my flash-based mp3 player and opened nautilus to let me view the contents.

It's also debian-based, so if there are any packages that you can't seem to find built specifically for ubuntu, you can usually grab the debian package and things will work out fine. A good portion of the software on my system is a debian package. This also answers the "mature" part of the question...this really is Debian with a few helpers to make things run smoothly. It's like a snapshot of a well-done Debian install.

Basically, it's Debian but geared specifically towards the latest and greatest Gnome. Being almost Debian, it doesn't deviate too far from standard Debian so you get access to the wealth of Debian packages available. It's required the least tweaking I've ever had to do in a distro. Like i said, all I had to do was apt-get install totem-xine, and edit my /etc/fonts.conf file to make the fonts look good.

Since the 2.x series, Gnome has been obsessed with making things "just work." No tinerking necessary, a few preferences to change here and there if you really dislike how an app behaves, but the philosophy that says the application shouldn't get in the way of you doing work is strongly emphasized. This is the distro that matches that philosophy.

I just reinstall it also since the final version. What sources.list file are you all using? The default one or have anybody made changes?

Could you list it if you made changes?

Thnx.