Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

HELP i wiped my ld.so.conf file out with cat. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HELP i wiped my ld.so.conf file out with cat.

Associate
    Quote Originally Posted by comtux";p="5351
    I thought a 1.9meg temp.ld file was a little big LOL
    Bash is slow when dealing with large files like that too. You could manually create it faster yourself - lol.

Re: HELP i wiped my ld.so.conf file out with cat.

Oooh. A Vector person! I just installed Vector (5.0_rc1 or rc2 SOHO) for a friend. It was sort of a test while we waited for his replacement XP disks to come, but he liked it so much he wants to keep it. Now I'm stuck trying to figure all this out well enough so he doesn't switch off of linux again. This guy knows next to nothing about computers, so it has to work the first time around.

The things I'm trying to find out are:

1. Is there a simple package manager GUI program that I can have him fire up whenever he needs a program?

2. Why, oh why, was OpenOffice not installed? Instead it came with an installer file, which I did use - but I'm not sure if I did it correctly. For instance, it might only work in one user account. I'm not use to working with an "installer" program on linux. Usually it's by hand or with a package manager.

And... welcome to the forums. In the nick of time no less

Associate

If it has KDE, then it is SOHO 5.0 RC1.

Kocil is now the guy takin the lead but I am helping him get things wrinkled out - lol.

He created a generic installer and that is why OpenOffice.org is installed afterwards. Should work just fine though.

vasm - is the system wide config tool - does everything from starting and stopping services to creating new user,etc - get to know it and you will be a Vector God - lol.

vlapt - is the slapt-get gui frontend - still needs some work - kocil asked me to look at it for him and help make it work better - maybe for rc3 or final though as he is getting ready to release rc2 any day now.

vlapt and vasm are not emphasized enough to new users.

vasm will work in both cli and gui mode - uses dialog in cli and xdialog in gui - the script checks if the gui is running.

remember that since it is an rc(release candidate), some things may not work quite right at the moment. The VL forum is very active and is the best place for your friend to get accustomed to. It is for everyone - from newbie to guru - everyone is treated the same as long as they respect others and are polite.

http://vectorlinux.com/forum

I'm Tigger over there too. You have to register to be able to post.

Ask either here or there if you have anymore questions. I will try to frequent both sites from now on.

For those that don't know tony (tigger) used to be the lead on the SoHo version of Vector.... he was active on tinyminds (wrote the interview with marcel) and he's an all around bang up guy...

Mentor
    Welcome home Frag/Tigger.
    Its getting strange here, enjoy.

Associate

Thanks for the welcome!