Thread: So I popped a cap in my PSU.

So I popped a cap in my PSU.

The computer was acting up and then I noticed the smell from the PSU. Opened it up and it seems 3 of the caps are buldging. I plan on getting a new PSU but I'm wondering why this happened. Is it likely it happened because it's only a 300w system and I was pushing it too hard (I've had in on that system for a while, the most recent change was June/July-ish of adding a better [more power sucking] video card.)

I'd rather get a low wattage PSU because I don't like wasting power. I figured that if a PSU was underpowered the computer probably would not work properly ever. But I don't know much on this matter.

Thoughts?

Re:So I popped a cap in my PSU.

hello gorn,
    the PS won't be contantly drawing its maximum power output, so if you were drawing 250W from your 300 W supply you wuld be drawing 250 W from the 400 W supply. Most of them have switching regulators which is better because the step down from using a linear regulator pays quite the penalty in current draw. they are also much much hotter which is something any decent PS should take into concideration.
    Cheers,
    Paul

Good Guru

[quote author=gorn link=board=3;threadid=9774;start=0#msg88817 date=1095027824]
    I'd rather get a low wattage PSU because I don't like wasting power. I figured that if a PSU was underpowered the computer probably would not work properly ever. But I don't know much on this matter.
    [/quote]

I will add to Paul's comment. You should go for a wattage you most likely wont hit but may come close. If you lowball, you end up limiting yourself. Basically you only draw what you use, so a 4 Trillion Watt PSU is going to use the same power as your 300 Watt PSU, just cost more at Radio Shack to purchase. I generally recommend to gamers to get a 400W PSU and for normal users a 300W PSU. The higher end AGP cards are getting insane with the current draw,

I ordered a 360W, that's supposed to be ultra quiet.

Thanks for the advice guys.