Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19
trying to install mandrake on portable over network

Thread: trying to install mandrake on portable over network

trying to install mandrake on portable over network

HI

I have an old ibm e600 (portable) i am relatively new to linux but i would like to install linu on this machine in order to learn. A fried of mine recommends madrake as a good beginers distro. i have the cd's of mandrake 10.0 and a ethernet connection to the internet .

now here is the problem; the portable does not have a cd drive. so what i am looking for is a way to boot from a diskette that would support pcmcia and a realtech 8139 pcmcia NIC and then install mandrake using either the cd images on my HD (windows2000) (if need be i can put them on an FTP server). or instal from the iso''s storred online.
    my network is not dhcp it's assigned ip's but if havving dhcp makes it easyer i have acess to a dhcpsupportet router
    please remember that i am a newbie

thanks in advance.

Re:trying to install mandrake on portable over network

hello,
    welcome to linux junior - whjat i have done in the past is make a boto disk with one of the prvided images - in your can you will wnat to eb able to enable ethernet at boot, for redhat one of these has been available in /images on the CD with tools to make floppys in /dosutils/ - please check out the install doc on making a boot disk.