Thread: Automate backups on Linux

Automate backups on Linux

Re:Automate backups on Linux

just wondering: what do you guys use for backup?

myself, i just copy my home partition to another partition on another harddrive like once every week or so...

Good Guru

I actually do something similar. I rarely do much more than backup to CD/DVD important stuff (like game patches, roms, oggs, mpegs, etc). In the workforce I have a little script very similar to IBM's here.

I have what I call a "install companion disk". I call em ICDs. Basically they have all of the requirements for a Linux/Windows install. Firefox, Thunderbird, Mail and Addressbook backups, Bookmarks, code for my webserver, and icons/theme sets. I really dont feel the need for scheduled backups, maybe a monthly MP3 dump, but thats about it.

I just have a script that selects certain folders to be backed up and compresses them in *.tar.bz2. So when you untar it you would get this / setting:

etc/ usr/ lib/ bin/ boot/ proc/ root/ home/ sbin/ tmp/ var/
    Then when you cd to these dirs, what ever was backed up in those folders in the previous / partition are stored.

Good Guru

Should look into Amenda.

I created a Subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org) repository on an external harddisk and imported my entire home directory (minus Firefox cache!) into it. Then, when I want to do a backup, I just make sure I've added any newly-created files to the respository and execute "svn commit". Very efficient, origanized, and painless!

[quote author=lemaymd link=board=19;threadid=9493;start=0#msg89705 date=1098021247]
    I created a Subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org) repository on an external harddisk and imported my entire home directory (minus Firefox cache!) into it. Then, when I want to do a backup, I just make sure I've added any newly-created files to the respository and execute "svn commit". Very efficient, origanized, and painless!
    [/quote]

Thanks for the tip! Karma++

I wrote a bash script to compress certain folders, move the archives to a second harddisk and write them to a zipdisk (I have those from when they were cool).

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=19;threadid=9493;start=0#msg86240 date=1089564313]
    just wondering: what do you guys use for backup?

myself, i just copy my home partition to another partition on another harddrive like once every week or so...
    [/quote]

At home I burn important stuff to DVD+RW. At work I use Bacula. Very very cool software.