Thread: Mouse problems in slackware 10

Mouse problems in slackware 10

I was configuring my xorg (i think thats what its called) file, for the first time, and i have logictech optical mouse plugged into my Ps/2 port I think, i know its not usb, so I chose that option when I came to it

then i finished configuring the file, and then went to start x and it would it work it was jumping all over the place and it was clicking automatically which is kind of weird, it made the bash terminal pop up, is there any way to tell what the problem is, maybe the mouse option i chose or maybe i chose the wrong video card option, or maybe the wrong resolution or something

also when i started x, a bunch of gray an black dots came up for the background, I chose gnome for my default manager, and I was like fuck i thought I picked some wrong options and I didnt want to fuck up my monitor, but then the gnome logo popped up and it looked fine, and all the toolbars and things looked fine, but that ugly ass background was still there, and the terminal window looked fine

so i was wondering does gnome start with such an ugly background or did i mess something up in the configuration?

thanks for any help

Re:Mouse problems in slackware 10

Well, the blackdots come because nautilus is not started... if you can open a terminal and run: nautilus &, it would get the blackdots out and you can set your personal background.. As for the mouse.. it seems that there is something wrong with your Baudrate and Samplerate (?) those are the options for some logitech mice. Also I believe I saw a option of PS/2 Speed Resolution which might be set too high. I don't know if i'm using the right terminology for the speed though..

HTH

Try IMPS/2 instead of PS/2 and see if that makes a difference.

If I remember correctly the gpm mouse server sometimes causes this behavior. You can try killing this process before starting X and then seeing what happens. If it works you can use the Slackware configuration tool to permanently disable gpm.

thanks i will try that

but i did do auto detect and it just sat that mouse didnt move at all

damn you slackware use my mouse ...

I have the same mouse, but my problem was that the scroll bar didn't work. I saw a reply about using IMPS/2 which didn't work for me, although I normally use it. I used ExplorerPS/2 and everything worked out.
    I know this isn't your problem, but it might somehow be related.

[quote author=Dswissmiss link=board=6;threadid=9757;start=0#msg89039 date=1095912105]
    I have the same mouse, but my problem was that the scroll bar didn't work. I saw a reply about using IMPS/2 which didn't work for me, although I normally use it. I used ExplorerPS/2 and everything worked out.
    I know this isn't your problem, but it might somehow be related.
    [/quote]

Did you try:
    Code:
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    with IMPS/2?

Yes, I had tried that, but it wouldn't work....back with gentoo though