Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with NFS

Help with NFS

Does anyone have any experience successfully setting up a NFS export? I tried googling for a howto and followed the steps (http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ ), but my client keeps saying "server is down" when I try to mount the nfs share. I made sure the firewall was down on the server, and "rpcinfo -p" shows nfs chugging along happily along with mountd and status and portmap.

Contents of /etc/exports:

/usr/local 192.168.1.103(rw)

Contents of /etc/hosts.deny:

ALL:ALL

Contents of /etc/hosts.allow:

ALL: 192.168.1.103

My client machine of course being at 192.168.1.103. On the client, "cat /proc/filesystems" shows nfs happily supported. I'm also running all services I can think of to do with nfs including portmap. From the client, an "rpcinfo -p 192.168.1.129" (server) shows everything it shows on the server box. But still, every time I type "mount 192.168.1.129:/usr/local /mnt/nfs" it comes back instantly with "mount to NFS server '192.168.1.129' failed: server is down".

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Re:Help with NFS

Try using
    /etc/hosts.deny
    Code:
    portmap : ALL : deny
    /etc/hosts.allow
    Code:
    portmap : 192.168.1.103 : allow

No luck Still same error.

I had to specify the udp option in FC2 when trying to mount to the older NFS server export on Deb 3.0. But in that case it mounted, but locked up on any kind of transfer.

The hosts.allow and hosts.deny need an empty line as the last line.

Here's my exportr:

Code:
    /stuff/pub              192.168.0.2(rw,sync) 192.168.0.4(rw,sync)
    My hosts.allow etc are empty, but I tried your entries and it still worked.

BTW, are there any kernel messages indicating a failed client request?

/var/log/syslog:
    Code:
    Sep  4 18:56:53 saturn rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from Dell-8500:1015 for /stuff/pub (/stuff/pub)
    Sep  4 18:58:24 saturn rpc.mountd: authenticated unmount request from Dell-8500:1020 for /stuff/pub (/stuff/pub)
    Sep  4 19:05:20 saturn rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from Dell-8500:712 for /stuff/pub (/stuff/pub)

I wiped my hosts.allow/deny files and it mounts! Woohoo! Thanks very much for your help Radar! I'll play around with hosts.allow/deny to get a tighter policy, but at least it's mounting.

One more thing...anyone know how to get win2k doing the nfs client thing? I tried mapping a network drive, but for the life of me I can't get it to see anything to do with 192.168.1.129...it's like the machine isn't even on the network.

Windows services for unix
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/default.asp

Pretty easy to set up by copying the passwd file over and using UID to windows user mapping. Then map the drive.

Quick 'n dirty Windows SFU setup

Quick 'n dirty Windows SFU setup

1. DL SFU, extract, run setup

2. Select custm inst, choose client for NFS and user name mapping, deselect everything else since you dont need

3. During inst, let default to own machine domain, select passwd / group files, select user name mapping

4. copy /etc/passwd and /etc/group to C:\

5. Start, Progs, WSFU, SFU Admin

6. Sel user name mapping

7. Under config bar, sel passwd / group files, put in C:\passwd C:\group

8. Select maps: should see \\machine, click List Windows Users, should see all win users, click List Unix Users, Click a Win user and a corresponding Nix user, click add

9. Map the drive the normal way, should now see the NFS share

If all worked, any more problems after would be perms issues on the shared dir.

For hosts.allow try this:
    Code:
    portmap: network/mask
    lockd: network/mask
    rquotad: network/mask
    mountd: network/mask
    statd: network/mask
    and for hosts.deny try:
    Code:
    portmap:ALL
    lockd:ALL
    mountd:ALL
    rquotad:ALL
    statd:ALL

Thank you all very much. I'll try this as soon as I get my win2k partition reformatted as NTFS, which apparently is required for running SFU. Makes sense...permissions and all....