Thread: RH-still open source?

RH-still open source?

I don't really get the whole concept - those days I need to buy sebscription to get RH enterprise version - fine, but I can'r really download it right?
    So anybody can tell how different RH Enterprise id different from FC?
    Can RH still be considered an OpenSource OS - I mean can I review the code without the byuing the subscription?

Re:RH-still open source?

[quote author=elovkoff link=board=4;threadid=9738;start=0#msg88453 date=1093885972]
    Can RH still be considered an OpenSource OS - I mean can I review the code without the byuing the subscription?
    [/quote]

I think so, since RH packages are made from freely available source. You can just look at the original project's source. And since all RH's stuff is GPL'd, you can mod and redist everything. Not only that, updates.redhat.com has all of RHEL in SRCRPM form for all.

Code:
    [radar@Dell-8500 radar]$ ftp updates.redhat.com
    Connected to updates.redhat.com (66.187.224.40).
    220 Red Hat FTP server ready. All transfers are logged. (UPDATES)
    Name (updates.redhat.com:radar): anonymous
    331 Please specify the password.
    Password:
    230-    THE SOFTWARE AVAILABLE FROM THIS SITE IS PROVIDED AND LICENSED
    230-    "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR
    230-    IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
    230-    OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
    230 Login successful. Have fun.
    Remote system type is UNIX.
    Using binary mode to transfer files.
    ftp>

Yeah, what he said. They are open source, and the source is available. They just sell the binaries.

Check this for a free recompilation of the binaries.

You're buying a product, not software, so yes, Red Hat is still open source. You can get pretty much all the software that's on RH Enterprise somewhere out on the Internet for free (I don't know if there is any non-OSS stuff on there.) What they are selling you is a bundled product, alongside support and services from them. They're trying to make it easier for you to be able to setup an "Enterprise" Linux solution instead of you having to figure it all out for you.

It's a little like building a house. You could probably do it for less if you build it yourself, but if you're not in the construction or architecture business, you're probably going to contract other people to do it for you.

Good Guru

Free as in "Freedom" not free "Beer". So basically if they made available the source for you ( either by download, offline CDs, or published ), they are certified as open source.

There are many freewares but are not opensources.

Almost every single major commercial distributor includes software that IS NOT GPL. What this means, is that the bulk of it is open source, after all the kernel is open source, the window manager is open source, etc..

But, if they include oracle, or adobe acrobat, or any number of other things that aren't open source, it could be illegal to download iso's.

[quote author=vvx link=board=4;threadid=9738;start=0#msg88602 date=1094337419]
    But, if they include oracle, or adobe acrobat, or any number of other things that aren't open source, it could be illegal to download iso's.
    [/quote]

Very true. That is why most responsible comerical distributors have a community edition which is the low end desktop without comercial software.

I recall hearing somewhere that the source for RHEL could be downloaded and compiled and that was totally legit...I thought they just sold support.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=4;threadid=9738;start=0#msg89289 date=1096985655]
    I recall hearing somewhere that the source for RHEL could be downloaded and compiled and that was totally legit...I thought they just sold support.
    [/quote]
    That's what White Box Linux does.

"This product is derived from the Free/Open Source Software made available by Red Hat, Inc but IS NOT produced, maintained or supported by Red Hat. Specifically, this product is forked from the source code for Red Hat's _Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3_ product under the terms and conditions of it's EULA.

There may be remaining packaging problems and other odd bugs. These are solely the responsibility of the White Box Linux effort and should not in any shape, manner or form reflect on the quality of Red Hat's commercial product. In fact, if you need a fully tested and supported OS you probably should go buy their box set.

A fair amount of effort has gone into removing Red Hat's trademarks and logos. Should you find one remaining, please report it so that it can be removed. Write me about this and any other problems at jmorris@beau.org. Or join the devel list and dive in! "