Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: updating

Re:updating

I'm not updating for awhile till microsoft finds another way of doing it. I'm not enabling automatic updates.
    Don't use xp for going on web anyways, so no big rush.

You don't need automatic updating. You can get the stand alone package at the link I provided previously.

Thanks, Trickster

[quote author=diavolo link=board=25;threadid=9713;start=0#msg88243 date=1093377555]
    I usually stick to the general rule not to accept ANY MS updates till they have been out for at least 6 months.
    [/quote]

i'm not defending microsoft's updates, but not installing them until they've been out for 6 months is most likely a much less secure approach than installing them right away.

but anyway, if you really wanna keep windows secure, just run it behind a firewall (not just a software firewall, but another machine or a hardware firewall), use Firefox instead of IE, use thunderbird instead of Outlook or Outlook Express, get antivir (it's free and very good) and get a software firewall too in case a windows box on your network gets infected. if you still have security problems after following this approach, you must have fucked up yourself.

Yep, I downloaded the stand along file when it first came out. Over 200mb. I haven't installed it yet because I haven't been in windows since I downloaded it.