Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: updating

updating

What is up with the automatic updating with sp2? Doesn't microsoft have enough control!

Re:updating

[quote author=rwtoften link=board=25;threadid=9713;start=0#msg88227 date=1093369746]
    What is up with the automatic updating with sp2? Doesn't microsoft have enough control!
    [/quote]
    What do you mean?

Mentor

Microsoft is "pushing" out sp2 soon.

Just turn your automatic updates off or change it to prompt when there are updates but dont have them installed automaticly!!!

I usually stick to the general rule not to accept ANY MS updates till they have been out for at least 6 months. Already sp2 has major security flaws.

Posted by: trickster Posted on: August 24, 2004, 01:58:13 PM
    Quote from: rwtoften on August 24, 2004, 01:49:06 PM
    What do you mean?

What I, mean is you cannot d/l update unless you have automatic updates on. Instead of manually!

And it doesn't surprise me that there is security flaws in sp2!

[quote author=rwtoften link=board=25;threadid=9713;start=0#msg88260 date=1093393395]
    What I, mean is you cannot d/l update unless you have automatic updates on. Instead of manually!
    [/quote]
    You mean that you can not download updates manually? Or that you cannot download updates automatically? Or that it won't install SP@ automagically?

Will not d/l -install unless automatic updates is turned on!

[quote author=rwtoften link=board=25;threadid=9713;start=0#msg88262 date=1093393606]
    Will not d/l -install unless automatic updates is turned on!
    [/quote]
    Some peole do not like automatic updates, because they can break other critical applications. That is why you are giving the choice. However, after SP2, the default is On instead of OFF.
    You can use SUS to push the patches to your clients.

Trickster, right now microsoft isn't giving you a choice. You can only download sp2 if you have automatic update turned on. It's says in the near future u should be able to download manualy.

Kind Mastermind

I downloaded SP2 (the full version) yesterday and installed it. Of course, I don't really care if it breaks anything. It was a seriously huge file (over 200mb). I wish I could say nice things about it, but I've only been using it for less than a day. I hate the fact that I had to find a third party website in order to d/l the file. The one major annoyance that I have is that if you click a link in Explorer and it launches another window, it will be stopped by default. That is sloppy coding. No other pop-up stopper (like the one built into Firefox, which I am using right now) denys you the right to click on a link and have it launch another instance of Explorer. So it seems like their security model is one of all or nothing. Stupid.

Of course, I also use clamwin a/v and a good firewall when I am in Windows. That helps keep my computer in decent health. I'm just not certain why M$ releases such crappy code. I shouldn't need a/v and I shouldn't need a service pack update that adds new features. SP's were only supposed to be for fixing lots of minor bugs and glitches in one easy to install package. If only M$ would just pay more attention to what they are doing. Plain stupid if you ask me.

Cheers

[quote author=rwtoften link=board=25;threadid=9713;start=0#msg88264 date=1093395708]
    Trickster, right now microsoft isn't giving you a choice. You can only download sp2 if you have automatic update turned on. It's says in the near future u should be able to download manualy.
    [/quote]
    I downloaded it from microsoft's website the day it came out.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../winxpsp2.mspx