Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ordered a new laptop

Hybrid View

ordered a new laptop

my box is starting to act kinda flakey... so i figured i should buy a new one. but this time, i'm gonna go for a laptop instead of a desktop.

so this is what i ordered:

dell inspiron 9100
    PIV 3 Ghz (hyperthreading), 1MB L2 Cache, 800Mzh FSB, 15.4 widescreen WSXGA+ TFT screen (resolution: 1680*1050), 1gig of RAM (400 Mhz), ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 and 100 GB Ultra ATA/100 HD (only 4200rpms though... it didn't let me select a faster one, but since it's got a gig of ram, it's hardly gonna be swapping anyway so i guess the HD will be okay), and a 24xCDRW/8x DVD combo drive plus some other standard stuff

it was pretty expensive though (2700) but i thought "oh what the hell"

btw, i know it's a pretty heavy laptop (about 4kg) but i won't be carrying it around with me a lot, so i don't mind

Re:ordered a new laptop

Just wait until you see the power adapter. It's going to be HUGE.

A friend of mine got an Inspiron 51XX and the adapter was almost the size of a small power supply. I'm not sure why they can't trim those things down?

Those things are huge.
    Someone I know has one, and it's referred to as 'the silver slab'. It hurts her shoulder to carry it.
    I sure hope you're not a 140 cm tall lady, or you're in for a sore shoulder.

i still wonder if i should have bought a dell instead of an apple. cheaper, more choice of linux distros, can play games. but i got this ibook, mac os x is meh, gentoo linux is meh. im hoping yellowdog 4 will kick some ass and put life into this laptop.

I would sacrifice a few virgins just to be on the safe side when it comes to stability.

yea i know the power adaptor is huge... it's like a brick. and i know it's a heavy and thick laptop... but that really doesn't bother me. i just want a really powerful machine. i'm gonna be using this as a desktop replacement mostly anyway so the size/weight is not a concern of mine. But the ability to easily use it somewhere else has become very appealing to me. that's why i'm not getting a new desktop.

bad news: well my box just died today... really weird, 4 days ago it was working perfectly and during these 4 days it has gotten to the point where it's just no longer usable

good news: i'm gonna cancel that laptop order because today i found out that i can get the same dell laptop with slightly better hardware (3.2 Ghz CPU instead of 3 Ghz, Ati Radeon Mobility 9700 with 128mb of RAM instead of 64mb, and a DVD writer instead of just a CDRW/DVD combo drive) for the same amount.... apparantly they have a couple of different editions of this 9100 inspiron and i had first selected the X-Treme edition, but if i go for the X-Treme Multi Media edition i can get a free memory upgrade (from 512 to 1024) which would otherwise cost me about 320 with the regular X-Treme edition. So with that extra 320 i was able to turn it into an even better machine for the same amount

the only bad thing is that i'm probably gonna have to wait for like 2-3 weeks before it'll get here... which means i'm stuck using my parents' box which is quite old and slow

Mentor

Are you getting it new?

Have you ever tried to go to Dells web site and go to their refurbished section?

They have some pretty nice laptops at reasonable prices.

yea i'm getting it new... it should be delivered on Friday

and i really wanted a new one instead of a used one because i wanted a beast of a machine and since money isn't an issue i figured "why not?"

Mentor

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=14;threadid=9676;start=0#msg88232 date=1093370431]
    since money isn't an issue i figured "why not?"
    [/quote]

Really?? got a couple of bucks i could borrow :P