Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

MPEG Compression

Thread: MPEG Compression

MPEG Compression

I have a fairly small video that's in MPEG. It's currently ~25M and I need to compress it so the size will be reduced to <=10M .. And I read up on MPEG Compression on Google, etc. But a lot of it, It didn't really help. So are there any tools that will let me compress videos and if i need to encode it, it needs to be readable by Windows Media Player (I know, I know).

So Anyone have any good Software on Linux (preferably) or on Windows that will let me do this ?

Mentor

Re:MPEG Compression

AFAIK mpeg is already a compressed format. I doubt you'll be able to do such a drastic compression converting to any other format. The only option really is to make the video smaller (width, height).

I agree with cloverm. You might try to encode it as divx, but I am not sure it would reduce the size that much. And you'd need a special codec to play it under Windows.

[quote author=trickster link=board=2;threadid=9667;start=0#msg87855 date=1092319576]
    I agree with cloverm. You might try to encode it as divx, but I am not sure it would reduce the size that much. And you'd need a special codec to play it under Windows.

[/quote]

I, too would give DivX (MPEG-4) a try. Also, the DivX codec is available to both Windows and Linux.

[quote author=Shebang link=board=2;threadid=9667;start=0#msg87853 date=1092318684]It's currently ~25M and I need to compress it so the size will be reduced to <=10M[/quote]Try changing formats to some temporary format that is uncompressed, then convert it back to MPEG and the program that you use to create your own MPEG should, if it is a well written program, allow you to change the compression level. Note that you will probably not ever get 25 megs down to < 10 megs, unless there is a lot of unchanging data that is throughout the whole video (like a blank wall behing a very stationary subject).
    And I read up on MPEG Compression on Google, etc. But a lot of it, It didn't really help.
    Did you notice that MPEG is a compression format? You can choose the level of compression, the screen size, and IIRC, a couple other items, and that is about all you can do to shrink a file.