Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Wireless Network - what you guys have?

Thread: Wireless Network - what you guys have?

Hybrid View

Good Guru

Wireless Network - what you guys have?

I'm undecided on whether I should upgrade to this DLink 108Mbps G router or this Linksys Linux based router but only 54 Mbps. DLink is also cheaper ( currently Fry's is selling DLink for 49.99 and Linksys for 69.99 .

Which one you guys have and what are advantages and disadvantages? If you were me, what would you choose and why?

TIA

[Edited] Well, just wanted to add, I will also need 2 PCI wireless cards and two wireless cardbuses. DLinks are cheaper but I'm not so sure about Linux support for them. I know Prism based are supported but there is no way I can tell by looking at the box. I will need to see the card itself and so I'm trying to save an extra trip to the store where you will have to stand in line for 20 minutes just to return stuff.[/edited]

Re:Wireless Network - what you guys have?

Not much helpful info but I just bought the Dlink DI-524. I should get it by Monday. I also need to get the cardbus for it. I have a wired Dlink that works great with linux.

I've heard Linksys is more trouble with wireless then most others, but I can't say for sure.

Good Guru

Re:Wireless Network - what you guys have?

Well, the model I linked ( WRT54G ) is based off Linux. There are some articles on LJ ( Linux Journal ) about how to hack the firmware ( essentially rebuilding the firmware but that will avoid Linksys's warranty ). After Cisco bought the Linksys, they've opened up the source tree of WRT54G and many people are hacking them. Due to memory limits, currently only SSH is being able to install and Apache is yet to work on that one. If that's successful ( or if Linksys shiped with more memory on board ) then they will get it working as a samll gateway/router. Then it will be worth it.

Plus, there are some info that you can swap the antenna with more powerful ones, adjust power level and have the range increased. BUT that's against FCC rules ( but it can be done ).

Due to those facts, I'm heavily learning towards Linksys but I also like the idea of getting more speed since DLink is twice faster than Linksys. :-\ :-\