Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cross platform development

Re:cross platform development

Perl is not as cross platform as C# or C or Java. Why you brought up perl in this topic is beyond me, it has nothing to do with your post except to turn a otherwise good post into a troll.

[quote author=gorn link=board=9;threadid=9609;start=0#msg87465 date=1091304251]
    Perl is not as cross platform as C# or C or Java. Why you brought up perl in this topic is beyond me, it has nothing to do with your post except to turn a otherwise good post into a troll.
    [/quote]

because i knew that people like shebang would go like "oh but perl is cross platform too and it rocks!" and i was actually hoping to avoid that

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=9;threadid=9609;start=0#msg87468 date=1091305195]
    [quote author=gorn link=board=9;threadid=9609;start=0#msg87465 date=1091304251]
    [/quote]

because i knew that people like shebang would go like "oh but perl is cross platform too and it rocks!" and i was actually hoping to avoid that
    [/quote]

Well you seemed to ask for it, not avoid it.

[quote author=gorn link=board=9;threadid=9609;start=0#msg87469 date=1091305434]
    Well you seemed to ask for it, not avoid it.
    [/quote]

trust me it wasn't what i was hoping for. but you simply can not talk to about programming of any kind without shebang telling that perl is the best for everything. but i learned my lesson... talking about software development on this board just seems to be a waste of time so i don't see the point in doing it anymore

I don't think it's this board or the topic. I agree with gorn in that you came off sounding a little trollish. Not that I don't agree with a lot of what you say (and disagree with other parts), but the above fact still stands.

yea it probably did come off as being a troll, but it's probably just because i'm getting really tired of people shouting "perl rocks!" whenever ANY aspect of development is being discussed.

seriously, it's gotten to the point where we can't even discuss development in #linuxjunior anymore without someone who clearly doesn't know very much about development joining in pretending that they do and it's starting to bother me a lot

so anyways, let's just drop it and i'm sorry i even started this thread in the first place.

My cross-platform development environment of choice right now is VisualWorks Smalltalk. Smalltalk is a great and extremely powerful language with what can easily be described as the greatest programming IDE in the entire world, and VisualWorks has support for a lot of things (such as XML-RPC which is needed for my current project, all the internet libraries you might need, cryptography, CORBA, SOAP, etc.), is totally cross-platform (the Unices, Windows, MacOS and OSX) and has a GUI painter tool (kind of like Microsoft Visual Studio or Glade) which makes it quite easy and painless to make GUI applications.

I suggest you guys try it, it's quite different from the so-called "traditional languages" such as C or Perl or Java (Smalltalk is not file-based for one), but it's an experience that can benefit all developers I think.

Perl/Tk does a decent job of cross platform GUI. I really like wxPython (http://www.wxpython.org). It looks right on Linux, Windows and Mac, and is a simple language to script in.

Good Guru

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=9;threadid=9609;start=0#msg89291 date=1096986044]
    Perl/Tk does a decent job of cross platform GUI. I really like wxPython (http://www.wxpython.org). It looks right on Linux, Windows and Mac, and is a simple language to script in.
    [/quote]

The little pyGTK I have done fits that really well. It makes life really easy to distribute to Win32, Linux, *BSD, and MacOSX users. Which is what I aimed at and was to do (class project to prove my point, that there can be tools that can be written almost all once and run on anything). I had a buddy help with the Mac side, since I dont own a Mac.

I am not a guru in any language, but I will say PERL can be great, but like any language -- piss poor programmers can make life hell. PERL easly gets FUBARred and painful. I suppose python can too ... I know C/C++ does ....