Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cross platform development

cross platform development

well as you all know, i'm a big fan of .NET and Mono. And as some of you know i have a C# project which uses GTK# for the GUI.

Mono and GTK# have been announced as a new way of cross platform development. But when i tried to run my project in Windows with Mono and GTK# it wouldn't work due to GTK errors. But i rewrote some of my code to avoid those bugs, and now my application works on both Windows and Linux. And it's ONE codebase... no #ifdef or any of that crap. The binaries that run on Windows are in fact the very same binaries that run on Linux and they are compiled on Linux as well.

so now i develop my project in Linux. I compile it in Linux. I package it in Linux. But it can be used on both Linux _and_ windows.

this is so much better than how i used to do it. I used to have my cross-platform ircleech library with a GTK# frontend for the linux version, and a System.Windows.Forms frontend for the Windows version. That's obviously not a great solution because you have to code every functionality of the front-end twice.

so anyway, if you're looking for a cross-platform solution for your development needs, you should really give Mono and GTK# a shot.

oh and before you perl monkeys start bitching, i'm talking about real application development, not scripting so don't even bother pointing out that perl is cross platform too. i know it's cross platform, but for real applications it's useless and shall remain useless for a loooooooooooooooong time

Re:cross platform development

perl monkeys? ???

[quote author=trickster link=board=9;threadid=9609;start=0#msg87433 date=1091216669]
    perl monkeys? ???
    [/quote]

yea you know... perl freaks who claim perl is the best solution for everything

Good Guru

Yeah they get old fast. They cant grasp that they are missing the fact that PYTHON is the perfect language for everything.

[me=Schotty]runs looking over shoulder, to see the language war that ensues.[/me]

Mentor

Ralinx,

Have you coded anything in Perl? If not, I take your comments as total ignorance. If yes, I would accept your bias towards it.

[quote author=trickster link=board=9;threadid=9609;start=0#msg87433 date=1091216669]
    perl monkeys? ???
    [/quote]

I resent that term.
    I'm a perl monger, not a perl monkey. :P

Come now...I could conceivably dismiss mono just as you've dismissed perl claiming that it's all flowery high-level object stuff that's made for people who don't understand C well enough to deploy it on a respectable scale. Perl has its place, as does mono, as does python, as does C. Sure, you'd be mad to make a complex application in Perl complete with GUI, just as you'd be mad to write a device driver using mono. Broaden your view a bit and I'm sure you'd find that there's a tool for every job.

Anyway, that said I do agree that .NET is a pretty slick piece of techonology. That was the whole idea of mono to begin with....write once, run anywhere; regardless of platform. Java never did seem to catch on in this arena, but mono is catching on and I'm glad to see it.

Does anyone know whether pyGTK is cross-platform? I know wxPython is, and I've heard it's quite nice. Python is another excellent choice of framework for developing applications. Yes, Ralinx, I can see you getting in line to put it down because it's another thing that's _not_ .NET, but regardless it is a proven cross-platform development framework that can be used to write all kinds of applications. For example, IIRC gentoo's portage system is largely done in python, as is gdesklets, myBudget (still alpha-quality, but it's improving with each release), and many large-scale enterprise-class systems at my place of work. Granted, none of these are cross-platform, but then again none of them are really meant to be cross-platform so I can't really comment on how easy it is to do.

Ralinx: :-P

I choose Perl as the solution for EVERYTHING.
    granted, i do different things than you, Perl does a GUI Interface.

Perl/Tk. <--- it's quite awesome really. I've seen window managers written in it. I've seen many many many apps using it.

So Mono/GTK# might be your fav for a "cross platform development", i believe perl can give the SAME amount of support for both platforms, without the code changing (unless dealing with the File system, ex: directories and such).

8) Perl 8)

[quote author=cloverm link=board=9;threadid=9609;start=0#msg87437 date=1091222870]
    Ralinx,

Have you coded anything in Perl? If not, I take your comments as total ignorance. If yes, I would accept your bias towards it.
    [/quote]

no but i've had to modify perl code to make changes to some scripts and to this day i have NEVER seen perl code that looked easily maintainable. it is way too cryptic. For that reason i can't imagine it being used for a real application. Sure i guess you could write a real application in it, but from a maintainability point of view, i think it is the worst language to code in after assembly

besides, when i made that comment i was referring to people like Shebang who for some reason is convinced that perl really is great for real applications. If it is, then why isn't any of the real popular applications written in perl?

like i already said, it is good for scripting. it's probably good for web development too even though i sure as hell would not wanna maintain that code.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=9;threadid=9609;start=0#msg87439 date=1091225396]
    Come now...I could conceivably dismiss mono just as you've dismissed perl claiming that it's all flowery high-level object stuff that's made for people who don't understand C well enough to deploy it on a respectable scale.
    [/quote]
    and that would be a completely invalid point... if C was actually good enough to be used for large scale deployment, languages like Java, C++ and C# would never need to have been invented. If you wanna use C, fine, use it for low-level stuff like drivers, kernels, that sort of stuff. Don't use C for real applications because it just isn't good enough for that. Why do you think there's so much discussion going on in the gnome community for wanting to switch to a higher level language? it's not because a lot of people don't understand C, it's because a lot of people understand that C is simply the wrong language for what they're doing.

Perl has its place, as does mono, as does python, as does C. Sure, you'd be mad to make a complex application in Perl complete with GUI, just as you'd be mad to write a device driver using mono. Broaden your view a bit and I'm sure you'd find that there's a tool for every job.
    dude i know every language has it's place. I just hate it when languages are being used for stuff that it shouldn't even be used for. I see it all the time at work and it pisses me off. At work they once wanted me to write a tool that would parse logfiles from a Notes webserver to gather statistics and they wanted me to do it in VB. I actually proposed to do in it Perl because i know perl is better for that task than VB. Does that sound like a closed mind view to you? oh and for the record, they didn't want me to do it in Perl because then they'd have problems finding someone who could maintain the code in the long run.

Yes, Ralinx, I can see you getting in line to put it down because it's another thing that's _not_ .NET
    again you are wrong... it doesn't have to be .NET for me to be able to like it. but for code that i write, i prefer languages with great OO support, and preferably languages that have been designed with OO and nothing but OO in mind (like C# and Java). For instance, i like Delphi. I dislike the syntax but i love the fact that it has great OO support and that it's always been a highly advanced language. I also like C++ even though that's not even truelly OO.

Another thing that bothers me about languages like Python is the fact that they will hardly help you in your career. Unless you get hired by Red Hat, you will almost never get to write Python code in your job. You wanna know why? Companies want to use technologies where they want professional support and they can go to a vendor to bitch if something goes wrong. They'll go with Java because they can bitch at IBM, BEA, Sun, Borland, ... They'll go with VB or Visual C++ or .NET because then they can bitch at Microsoft when things go wrong. That's how large companies work. So if you're gonna write code in your spare time, why not do it in a language that is being used in lots of companies? the more experience you have in those languages, the easier it is to get a job. If you go on a job interview for a development position, and you mention that you've been writing Python code in your spare time for the last 2 years, then they will most likely go for the guy that has been writing C# (or C++ or Java) code in his spare time. That's just how it is.