Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Slack rocks! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Slack rocks!

Good Guru

Re:Slack rocks!

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=7;threadid=9607;start=0#msg88102 date=1093065396]
    WOW, I didn't know Linspire charges that much.

But I had played it when my friend bought her first computer ( with pre-linux installed that is ) from my local shop. It was well configured and set up. On high-end hardware boxes, I'd use it if I were a newbie.

The Libranet doens't seems to cost much. About 40 bucks is reasonable. But then again, I have Debbie so why I need a clone? ;D
    [/quote]

That price is not too bad in the scope of things. Its the stupid/lazy/I want it now syndrome. I know how to do it the hard way, I just dont want to. CNR does it all for me so I am happy.

And yeah Libranet is not bad. Red Hat 9 cost me $40 for the boxset I ordered. I think that $40 for a whole distro is really cheap. Considering the nothing that Windows comes with, the hassles, and it costs $199, we cant whine about the price. We get so much more.

But when just comparing linuxes, I can complain. Slackware and Debian are free. If they can outperform Red Hat, that means alot. If they can spank Linspire, that means alot. If I am paying, I want it to mean something. I think that many of the box set only distros or pay to download ones arent that much better than the completely free ones. Linspire and Libranet are the only two I can think of right now for us desktop users that are worth the money. RHEL is worth it for the back office, but thats mainly a price for support not added "features" in the normal sense.

Often when I need new software for Slackware, I will just compile from source followed by `checkinstall`. However, when I wanted gDesklets, compiling from source did not work well, and therefore I used swaret to get the packages.

I used to be a slackware user. Now I use Debian ( 4 years ).
    Its GREAT ;D

Good Guru

I used libranet for some time, and was quite pleased.

So Slack rocks, you say.
    What is it that makes Slack so good?
    The reason for why I'm asking is I am going to change system soon, haven't decided to what.
    I have used Mandrake 8.2 & 9.1, good choice when I was studying Cisco - it gave me what I needed without fuss.
    But I don't really like the path I find Mandrake is taking (SuSe as well), a bit too Redmondish.
    I have Slackware 10 installed, just to check it.
    So far - not tested it much, remember! - this is what I found:
    * It boots about as fast/slow as Mdk91, can't see it performs better than that one
    * I will have to install IceWM, that's the one I want
    * I have to configure <some hardware, don't remember>
    * pkgtool is too weird

No big problems here, the question is really only which distro I'm going to configure for my needs.
    And Slack is one with very many fans, few people get so 'lyric' about their distro as Slackers...
    Other alternatives might be VectorLinux, DeMuDi/ReMuDi, Mepis, ArkLinux.... I think I have downloaded at least 20 distro's to try out...
    (I feel like when I was young - "So many distro's, so little time... )
    So this is an honest question, I'm not flaming.
    Just interrested, what is it that makes you like it so much?

(My computer: AMDAthlon 1,4GHz, 512RAM, GeForce440MX, tvcard (bttv))

[quote author=x link=board=7;threadid=9607;start=30#msg88497 date=1094048177]
    So Slack rocks, you say.
    What is it that makes Slack so good?
    The reason for why I'm asking is I am going to change system soon, haven't decided to what.
    I have used Mandrake 8.2 & 9.1, good choice when I was studying Cisco - it gave me what I needed without fuss.
    But I don't really like the path I find Mandrake is taking (SuSe as well), a bit too Redmondish.
    I have Slackware 10 installed, just to check it.
    So far - not tested it much, remember! - this is what I found:
    * It boots about as fast/slow as Mdk91, can't see it performs better than that one
    * I will have to install IceWM, that's the one I want
    * I have to configure <some hardware, don't remember>
    * pkgtool is too weird

No big problems here, the question is really only which distro I'm going to configure for my needs.
    And Slack is one with very many fans, few people get so 'lyric' about their distro as Slackers...
    Other alternatives might be VectorLinux, DeMuDi/ReMuDi, Mepis, ArkLinux.... I think I have downloaded at least 20 distro's to try out...
    (I feel like when I was young - "So many distro's, so little time... )
    So this is an honest question, I'm not flaming.
    Just interrested, what is it that makes you like it so much?

(My computer: AMDAthlon 1,4GHz, 512RAM, GeForce440MX, tvcard (bttv))
    [/quote]

One reason I like Slackware is because it is far from bloated in that there are no GUI alternatives for everything like SuSE/RH/FC does. Also, it is a great and a stable distro for servers. However, as you said, Slackware does not come with IceWM, which to me also is a disappointment (but compiling is not too bad either). Hopefully, they may decide to include in their future releases.

P.S. When I switched from RedHat GNU/Linux 9 to Slackware GNU/Linux 9.1 at the beginning of this year, I found Slackware to be faster.

Hey,

Everything chessforce said is true. Chessforce actually introduced me to linux and originally we wanted to install RH9 but due to hardware limits, only mandrake would install at that time.. After I got Mandrake Working... i felt it was bloated wrong and it was hard for me to manage it's crashes.. Then I switched to debian and wasn't too happy.. Then I switched to Slackware and out of all those distros, this one matched me the best and was really fun. One thing to remember is that it doesn't hold your hand through the install nor does it do that after you've installed it. You'll learn a great lot through this distro and it's simple and stable and not too outdated either.... so i like it.. you can use it as a desktop, as a server, as a workstation, as a learning env.. anything..

try it.. it's fun..

[quote author=burntash link=board=7;threadid=9607;start=30#msg88565 date=1094176358]
    http://linuce.free.fr/packages/icewm/

cheers
    [/quote]

Oh..yeah.. IceWM can be compiled from Source: http://www.icewm.org or you can get binaries.. A good place to search for binaries would be http://linuxpackages.net

I'm thinking about what chessforce said:
    ...there are no GUI alternatives for everything...
    Good enough for me, I very seldom use them. But the last weeks my kids have started to show some interrest in setting up their own desktops. They have changed their backround, screensaver & login pict in Windows... They will not be able to change a textfile in English!
    But maybe what they want to do is covered by GUI-tools from IceWM/KDE? (KDE might be a better alternative, I don't know. They have KDE on their computer, sometimes uses mine with IceWM. They don't want KDE because it's too slow...)

I just have to think about them, too (two girls, 10 & 12). Don't want them to get the wrong picture of Linux, only seeing my way to handle it.