Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slack rocks!

Re:Slack rocks!

[quote author=Saptech link=board=7;threadid=9607;start=0#msg88052 date=1092903514]

And between the two, I gotta say apt-get wins over pkgtools, imho, because of dependencies.

[/quote]

Ive only came across dependency issues once. Thats when I was trying to get giFt installed.

Good Guru

I cant say I have been that lucky. Swaret helped, but not for all my dependency issues. I had to build 1/3 of what I acquired as packages.

Yupper I keep good ol' Deb on my personal home server, and will continue to stay with Deb for that. My laptop and gaming setup are for fun 'n f'ing around.

Good Guru

I have been whoring distros for a bit now, and I will say, once deps are fixed on slack, that will be both the best server platform (its the best rival to Red Hat IMHO), the best commercial setting desktop (Dropline and KDE are about as full of tools for an office as you can get, and adminning is nothing more than a snap of the fingers), and then it will be the best average joes' desktop. That is why I always end right back up with Red Hat. Now that I have funds, my main machine is Linspire, again. My first stint at it was short, due to my lack of $$ for CNR. I had my free 15 days and loved it, until the 16th ;D Now I can pay the meager $5 a month or as I am currently doing, $50 a year. I can share it with my buddies (as I did to make the cost 1/3 of that, or $17. And deps are gone. Hassles are gone. And all of the reasons linux has irritated me in some fashion or so has been alleviated. I didnt get into linux to dependency hunt, spend 2 days getting a damn printer working, or spend a week to get something like tv out going. FC1 was a massive step in the right direction. However FC2 took a great many steps back.

Slack 10 reminds me of all the previous slacks, just current with software. No major gripes at all, but the one thing is dependencies. I can write a guide in my sleep on how to setup my rig exactly perfect in roughly 1.5 Hours (pre video game installation of course).

My desktop usabilityranking as of now :

1. Linspire 9.5 (costs money, god this would be great if free)
    2. Slackware (deps)
    3. Red Hat (the stable ones cost, and FC1 is a bit outdated, FC2 sucks).
    4. Libranet (costs, but debian based so its all good, small as hell community
    5. SuSE (funky configs, but very nice KDE implementation. Needs Ximian GNOME to raise up a few notches)

Thats me though.

I tried numerous distros.. Arch, Slack, Debian, Mandrake, FC, RH, Knoppix-Morphix, Gentoo, etc.

And of them all, I rate Slackware no.1 because it might have deps problems but has great stability for Desktop and a server, it has great community.. both options for binaries and source compiling... it feels comfortable using it.

I like Debian for it's pkg management, stability, community.. and others but currently, slack seems faster for me..

Good Guru

WOW, I didn't know Linspire charges that much.

But I had played it when my friend bought her first computer ( with pre-linux installed that is ) from my local shop. It was well configured and set up. On high-end hardware boxes, I'd use it if I were a newbie.

The Libranet doens't seems to cost much. About 40 bucks is reasonable. But then again, I have Debbie so why I need a clone? ;D

I'd be interested to know how everyone gets by the dependency issues with slack, does swaret and slapt-get really work that well?

[quote author=cokehabit link=board=7;threadid=9607;start=0#msg88113 date=1093091559]
    I'd be interested to know how everyone gets by the dependency issues with slack, does swaret and slapt-get really work that well?
    [/quote]
    I rarely use packages that are not fromthe Slackware or Dropline gnome site.
    If I need anything else, I compile it, then use checkinstall to make a package for easier management.
    So far I haven't run into any dependency problem.

i use swaret and i havent had any dependency problems yet. only when i install packages from linuxpackages.net. but other than that slackware is great, its stable, fast ,and it keeps things simple. its a comfortable distro while you may have to config yourself, but not too much. its a great distro for learning and for using as an advanced user. it seems like every day and every release more people switch to it, most other distros seem like they disappoint their users with each new release. slack is the way to go.

Good Guru

[quote author=Shebang link=board=7;threadid=9607;start=0#msg88088 date=1093026642]
    And of them all, I rate Slackware no.1 because it might have deps problems but has great stability for Desktop and a server, it has great community.. both options for binaries and source compiling... it feels comfortable using it.
    [/quote]

Thats why I love it. That truly is its only downfall.