Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slack rocks!

Mentor

Re:Slack rocks!

I just got it installed, this is nice!!

I left slack a while back to explore the world of linux. I tried a bunch different flavors.

I tried Mandrake and really liked that for a while just because it was reall easy to work with, then i tried RedHat 9 just because...and then a bunch more that i just wasnt happy with but when i heard how everyone was raving about slack 10 i decided to try it.

I think it's safe to say i'm finally sticking with one distro, but as far as a server goes i'm sticking with RedHat......

yessss, walk into the light 8)

Poltergeist anyone?

Someone give a dummy (me) a general overview of typical Slackware pkg management and system admin, particularly config of bootup services. Like what are common ways of finding, installing a pkg. Or changing what services come up in certain runlevels (if slack has those). You know, since I'm frickin lazy. ;D

[quote author=Radar link=board=7;threadid=9607;start=0#msg88029 date=1092839914]
    Someone give a dummy (me) a general overview of typical Slackware pkg management and system admin, particularly config of bootup services. Like what are common ways of finding, installing a pkg. Or changing what services come up in certain runlevels (if slack has those). You know, since I'm frickin lazy. ;D
    [/quote]
    I *think* there is an ncurses frontend for managing the services, but I don't know for sure. Basically, the service scripts are located in /etc/rc.d . If you make the script executable, it will start with the machine. It won't otherwise.

Package management is also ncurses based. Uses .tgz packages. There are a few autodownload tools for it. Nothing too fancy.

pkgtool is the ncurses frontend.

You can change which services start in /etc/rc.d/ by making them executable.

Ahh cool. I've been thinking of Slack. FC2 is slow on my laptop, I miss the speed of gentoo. I'm too dumb to run gentoo since I did foolish things and broke it. Actually I grew tired of manually checking configs to see if they would break stuff. One would think that if it's a config you didnt make changes to, then you ought to be able to merge it safely. : Gentoo is like a high maintenance woman. I wonder what debian would be?? An ugly chick who gives good head?

Slack on both desktops
    Suse on the laptop.
    All works well, life is great....

Good Guru

[quote author=Radar link=board=7;threadid=9607;start=0#msg88044 date=1092871194]
    I wonder what debian would be?? An ugly chick who gives good head?
    [/quote] And who knows how to give you good and will keep it dry. ;D

I have had my (fun) time with LFS and other distros. But at the end of the day, I don't want to keep track of which version I have and which one needs updating. I don't want to worry whether my version is newly discovered root hole. I don't want to re-install the whole box just to upgrade from one version to the other.

With Debian, all I do is "apt-get update" and "apt-get dist-upgrade" and I'm done. My server was Slick ( Debian 2.0 with 2.2.14 ). My current is Testing ( current stable is 3.0r2) with 2.6.5. I haven't re-install that box in ages.

Same here...I've tried Gentoo, Sourcemage, and others similar and end the end, it's really not worth it. I keep my Slackware and Debian at all times, and use other partitions to try other distros.

And between the two, I gotta say apt-get wins over pkgtools, imho, because of dependencies.