Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dropline GNOME !! WOW !!

Re:Dropline GNOME !! WOW !!

Do you have to uninstall the stock Gnome 2.6 first?

Thnx.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=6;threadid=9590;start=0#msg87312 date=1091062476]
    I've heard rumours that no matter what route you go with suse, you're going to have a substandard gnome install.
    [/quote]

actually, Suse includes Gnome 2.4 with some Ximian patches. Everybody loved Ximian Gnome right? Most people like it more than regular Gnome. So i fail to see how the Gnome that Suse provides can be 'substandard' since it contains stuff that regular Gnome 2.4 doesn't have.

[quote author=Saptech link=board=6;threadid=9590;start=0#msg87314 date=1091075701]
    Do you have to uninstall the stock Gnome 2.6 first?

Thnx.

[/quote]
    no

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=6;threadid=9590;start=0#msg87323 date=1091089049]
    [quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=6;threadid=9590;start=0#msg87312 date=1091062476]
    I've heard rumours that no matter what route you go with suse, you're going to have a substandard gnome install.
    [/quote]

actually, Suse includes Gnome 2.4 with some Ximian patches. Everybody loved Ximian Gnome right? Most people like it more than regular Gnome. So i fail to see how the Gnome that Suse provides can be 'substandard' since it contains stuff that regular Gnome 2.4 doesn't have.
    [/quote]

True, but if they shipped a slightly modded KDE 2.2 you'd be pissed. Gnome 2.4 is all good and fine, but 2.6 contains some serious improvements. The addition of TOC capabilities in gpdf as well as improved rendering is one that I can't do without (I use Gnome for all my school work, and most of my lecture slides are pdf'd and put on the class website...it was a huge pissoff when Gnome 2.4 would spit out a bunch of garbled shapes in place of my lessons. Fixed in 2.6 though). There's also the new version of GTK with its slick file selector, spatial nautilus, and changes to epiphany (which I don't care so much about as I use firefox). Also there are a lot of apps I run under 2.6 that I'd have to downgrade in order to get working wtih 2.4 (like Rhythmbox...I'd have to use gstreamer 0.6.3 instead of 0.8, and the 0.6 series had some serious issues with audio playback).

Anyway I've been out of the Ximian world for a while, but from what I understand development hasn't been so active since Novell bought them. I'm wondering if we'll see a version based on Gnome 2.6.

Mentor

I have Gnome 2.6 installed on my SuSE 9.1 box. I've looked at it, played with it for a while, but went back to KDE. I just can't get comfortable in a Gnome environment. I can't seem to get basic things done in it. I concluded that Gnome is just not cloverm-friendly.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=6;threadid=9590;start=0#msg87326 date=1091114675]
    True, but if they shipped a slightly modded KDE 2.2 you'd be pissed.
    [/quote]
    they do ship a slightly modded KDE 3.2 and it rocks

Good Guru

[/quote]

I was pleased while the install worked. In the end, any KDE or GNOME app died. I assume it was something odd with the install, since no other revision of SuSE was that fubar after ... 3 weeks?

Good Guru

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=6;threadid=9590;start=0#msg87323 date=1091089049]
    [/quote]

Beautiful point.

Well I think after three years I might just go back to slack. Gentoo broke with an update I intended. Suse's Yast is now broken after only a week of use. I tried to upgrade to 2.6 and it broke yast. Now I cant remove or install anything. It says it does it but its not true. Debian was good too. But a bit outdated. Maybe its time to go back to a simple Distro. I'm disappointed with Suse. Hopefully pro will be better. I doubt it.

Yes Dropline rocks...

gmoreno, were you using Debian Sid? It pretty much use the latest software.