Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Boot Floppy

Thread: Boot Floppy

Boot Floppy

I just installed AL-AMLUG Live CD 0.5.1 to an extra partition and now would like to create a lilo boot floppy disk for it.

It seems to use KDE as the default desktop which isn't too bad but I've been using Gnome.

Is there a graphical way to create a boot floppy in KDE? If not how can I make one from CLI?

Thnx.

Re:Boot Floppy

from the cli mkbootdisk <options> .e.g mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 2.6.5

this distro don't seem to have that command.

Thnx.

did you try it as root? it is -> /sbin/mkbootdisk

[quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=9560;start=0#msg87037 date=1090616305]
    [/quote]
    Yes and tried /sbin/mkboot, Files not found.

Trickster, I seen that also but thought KDE would have a graphical program to do it. It seem that some distros have one to create a boot floppy. I guess this one don't.

I guess I will have to make it manually.

Thnx.

[quote author=Saptech link=board=1;threadid=9560;start=0#msg87040 date=1090617136]
    [quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=9560;start=0#msg87037 date=1090616305]
    [/quote]
    Yes and tried /sbin/mkboot, Files not found.

Trickster, I seen that also but thought KDE would have a graphical program to do it. It seem that some distros have one to create a boot floppy. I guess this one don't.

I guess I will have to make it manually.

Thnx.

[/quote]

KDE doesn't have a boot floppy creation GUI but it does have a floppy format GUI.

If you are compiling a 2.6 Kernel Series.. It has an option to make a boot disk to the floppy in the floppy drive. you might want to check that out. I believe i made on with 2.6.5 (when I was using it) and it was fine.
    make help:
    Code:
    Architecture specific targets (i386):
    * bzImage       - Compressed kernel image (arch/i386/boot/bzImage)
      install       - Install kernel using
                       (your) ~/bin/installkernel or
                       (distribution) /sbin/installkernel or
                       install to $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo
      bzdisk      - Create a boot floppy in /dev/fd0
      fdimage    - Create a boot floppy image
    bzdisk - Create a boot floppy in /dev/fd0
    fdimage - Create a boot floppy image

That should help you out a bit.

Also try:
    makebootdisk
    It works with Slackware..

Good Luck!

Thnx for the good info Shebang...but I've started distro hopping again lately, bored I guess. I've given up on the archlivecd distro for Simply Mepis livecd and I must say it's not too bad looking. And it let me create a boot floppy.

[quote author=Saptech link=board=1;threadid=9560;start=0#msg87052 date=1090644540]
    Thnx for the good info Shebang...but I've started distro hopping again lately, bored I guess. I've given up on the archlivecd distro for Simply Mepis livecd and I must say it's not too bad looking. And it let me create a boot floppy.

[/quote]

You are welcome!