Thread: Raid 1

Mentor

Raid 1

For the last 2 days I've been trying to set up a software raid 1 (mirroring) on a RH 9 system without any success. I can create the raid device (/dev/md0) booting from a CD, but for the life of me I can't get the system to successfully boot from the mirrored drives. I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to do this. I've read all the howtos on this I could find.

Re:Raid 1

Just as a question, mostlly becauses ive been cursing Raid servers the last few days, but are you sure the the raid is actually being mounted during the startup?

Good Guru

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ware-raid.html

If I recall correctly, I remember hearing a few conversations regarding raid at the 2600, and for BSD and Linux, you need a non raid boot partition to boot up correctly. I could be wrong. But here is the docs over at RedHat.

Mentor

[quote author=Schotty link=board=1;threadid=9554;start=#msg87021 date=1090598441]
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ware-raid.html

If I recall correctly, I remember hearing a few conversations regarding raid at the 2600, and for BSD and Linux, you need a non raid boot partition to boot up correctly. I could be wrong. But here is the docs over at RedHat.
    [/quote]

Actually I was trying to convert an existing RH9 system to RAID1. I finally gave up and reinstalled RH9 as the above document. Now I have it up and running. I still need to be able to convert an existing installation, since I have other boxes, but I won't be able to reinstall those since they are in production.

Mentor

cloverm i found this RAID 1 i didnt read thru the whole thing but it seems like it might help.

I didnt think you could "convert" to RAID 1 i always thought you had to start fresh with it.