Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slackware 10 Crashed

Slackware 10 Crashed

I installed Slackware 10 day before yesterday and last night
    i was installing gaim and some permissions were messed up
    that even if i did "chown -R normalUser /" it didn't let me
    login by saying /bin/bash: permission denied however, root
    could do all those and checked /etc/passwd and /etc/group
    and saw if i was off any important groups but didn't help.
    googling didn't help so i just re-installed (new system not
    too many configs) and today i booted the system and installed
    postfix and it said that i have 200 Mgs left i had some where
    near 6 gigs left..so i tried searching didn't help and i was
    closing X and the system crashed.. crashed as in now i cannot
    reboot into slackware or use my HDD (so i just booted my gentoo
    livecd and recovered some data).. Now can some suggest as t
    o what distro i can use that will not act like this?
    Thanks
    Shebang

Re:Slackware 10 Crashed

That sounds to me like a corrupted filesystem (are you using reiserfs? I always have corruptions with reiserfs...)

My slack system is running good...

[quote author=trickster link=board=1;threadid=9505;start=0#msg86482 date=1089737825]
    That sounds to me like a corrupted filesystem (are you using reiserfs? I always have corruptions with reiserfs...)

My slack system is running good...
    [/quote]

YEah..I went to #linuxhelp on freenode and they also said it was corrupted filesystem but then i fsck'ed my partitions, they said clean and then i just reformatted them again with ext3 (was running ext3 before too)

it might also be bad memory chips... i once had bad memory chips and let me tell you, that causes the weirdest problems. it made my system crash quite frequently and seeminly at random, the filesystem was fucked up because of those crashes and after about 2 days of this, the system was completely useless. so then i installed a new distro, and a clean install would also crash. i took the RAM out, and suddenly all of those problems were gone.

try running a memory test

Definately run memtest, I had the same problem as ralinx, I thought it was overheating, but it unfortunately it was the mobo, not the RAM.

[quote author=Shebang link=board=1;threadid=9505;start=0#msg86481 date=1089737277]some permissions were messed up
    that even if i did "chown -R normalUser /"[/quote]

That breaks things even more. How do you plan to su if su is owned by shebang and setuid shebang not root? Also many programs freak if permissions are not right. And apache won't work if it's all owned by you and trying to run as nobody.

NEVER chown -R /, it's a bad idea.

[quote author=gorn link=board=1;threadid=9505;start=0#msg86494 date=1089753693]
    [quote author=Shebang link=board=1;threadid=9505;start=0#msg86481 date=1089737277]some permissions were messed up
    that even if i did "chown -R normalUser /"[/quote]

That breaks things even more. How do you plan to su if su is owned by shebang and setuid shebang not root? Also many programs freak if permissions are not right. And apache won't work if it's all owned by you and trying to run as nobody.

NEVER chown -R /, it's a bad idea.
    [/quote]

Yeah but um.. nothing seemed to work..there were some solutions on google and none of them worked.. also before i did that i did:
    chmod 777 /bin/sh so i could atleast login into getty and that didn't work. and that was one of the solutions on #linuxhelp i tried it..

countach and ralinx, i tried `memtest86` on an FC2 disk and everything seemed to "pass".

:'(

Mentor

I'd have to say memory as well. I've had exactly the same problems with bad memory.
    Does the crash happen under load, or just at random times? If under load check the CPU temperatures etc. Also how long did you run memtest for? One pass isn't enough. Run it over night, for at least 5 hours. Just because it passed the first test doesn't mean its OK.
    CP

[quote author=CP link=board=1;threadid=9505;start=0#msg86505 date=1089756517]
    I'd have to say memory as well. I've had exactly the same problems with bad memory.
    Does the crash happen under load, or just at random times? If under load check the CPU temperatures etc. Also how long did you run memtest for? One pass isn't enough. Run it over night, for at least 5 hours. Just because it passed the first test doesn't mean its OK.
    CP
    [/quote]

Well, it ran for about 6 Hours on FC2 (memtest86) and also it crashed at random times..

P.S: I am on Slack 9.1 right now.. i'll just recompile some important packages such as gcc, glibc, etc. rather than upgrading to slack10..

Mentor

I can only think its one of two things, a corrupt download or a hardware problem. If its a corrupt download then you'll be sweet, but if its hardware you really want to look into it. Have you checked PSU and CPU? The PSU if not putting out enough power could cause major problems for you.
    CP