Thread: Alsa devices

Mentor

Alsa devices

I've just upgraded to a new mobo and CPU, and because of that I had to recompile my kernel. I've done this, and setup alsa, or so I thought. All the modules are loaded, and the libraries detected, however I cant find ANY actual device files, so I cant send the sound anywhere.
    I've got a good feeling its because the sys filesystem is now used instead of dev, but I dont think alsa has made the change correctly. Has anyone got alsa to work using 2.6.7?
    I'm running slack 10, and using xmms.
    Cheers
    Chris

Re:Alsa devices

hello,
    yes - I have alsa working nicely on fc2 and kernel 2.6.7 - my config is here:
    http://home.covad.net/~pbharris/files/config_2.6.7

I ahve it working fine on Slack 10/2.6.7

Mentor

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've gone right throug my 2.6 setup, and cant see anything else I'd need to change. The modules load fine, and there is all the setup information in /proc/asound, yet there are no device files in /dev.
    I'm recompiling AGAIN to see if I've missed something, but I'm close to giving up and going back to OSS. I've tried prebuilt alsa packages, I've tried compiling my own alsa packages, and I'm still not having any luck. I've created the .asoundrc file, I've got modules.conf properly setup, I really have no idea what is going on here.
    CP

Mentor

OK, its official something is broken, and its not alsa. I have no sound devices in /dev. Even when I install the OSS modules, I have no sound devices.
    I have compiled 2.6.7 about ten times by now, still with no luck. I have tried it with devfs without devfs, and with the kernel alsa modules, with the actual alsa packages, both compiled from source and prepackaged.
    Does anyone out there use a P4 with the intel 865 chipset, and kernel 2.6? If so, can you please send me your kernel config and I'll try to use that. I'm actually now going to make a default base kernel and see if that works.
    Cheers
    CP

Mentor

Success at last!
    I compiled the kernel with default options and it worked. I then took that configuration and went right through it. The only difference is that the sound stuff is not compiled as modules, and that is extrememly odd, but I'm happy that it works. Although in doing that I also disabled the framebuffer and now I cant get the nvidia driver to work, so I'm going to play around a bit.
    It seems extrememly odd that compiling it into the kernel fixed it, but I'm not going to argue, i'm just going to accept it and leave it at that.
    Thanks for the help
    CP