Thread: Fedora and Wireless Cards

Fedora and Wireless Cards

I have a box with a Linksys wireless G card that Fedora doesn't seem to autoconfigure (or probe). I believe it's the W54G PCI. Any clue who to get this to work?

Good Guru

Re:Fedora and Wireless Cards

thank god I won the war, but I nearly went wireless. The reason I say that, the G line of cards really have shitty support on linux. The only support that is there is with the commercial Linuxant drivers. I looked into Linksys, Netgear, and Orinoco. Only Orinoco works with OSS drivers, well that is.

If you are willing to spend the $25 for the linuxant drivers, they work really good.

[quote author=trickster link=board=4;threadid=9487;start=0#msg86113 date=1089493490]
    If you are willing to spend the $25 for the linuxant drivers, they work really good.
    [/quote]

I'm giving them a shot. So far it hasn't worked that great, but it's farther than I had it going on my own.

ndiswrapper works well as well.

Or if you have a prism54 or a Atheros they are supported without any windows drivers.

Have you checked this?

some long url

Good Guru

I'm thinking about going wireless as well ( but only with G since it has 54 MB speed instead of B which has only 11 MB speed ).

Any good hardware recommendations?? I saw some cheap Linksys complete package deal at Fry's. Since my network is mainly consists of Linux boxes, I NEED Linux compartibility and support.

Any tips??

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=4;threadid=9487;start=0#msg86575 date=1089853214]
    I'm thinking about going wireless as well ( but only with G since it has 54 MB speed instead of B which has only 11 MB speed ).

Any good hardware recommendations?? I saw some cheap Linksys complete package deal at Fry's. Since my network is mainly consists of Linux boxes, I NEED Linux compartibility and support.

Any tips??
    [/quote]

Well, actually instead of suggesting what to buy, i'll tell you which router not to buy. I bought a "LinkSys BEFSR41" Router in March/April was excellent. And a LinkSys WPC11 Ver. 4 Card. It sucks.. Don't BUY it.. The drivers from Realtek need very hard code editing and even those don't work. There were some drivers by SuSE that sort of worked but didn't work with Linux (only with BSD). So careful that particular card since it's sold commonly but is crap.. Actually any card with a Realtek Chip is horrible.