Thread: Hardware?

Hybrid View

Hardware?

I'm getting a steal of a deal on a dedicated server. However it only has 128mb ram. I'm running an sql orinted site with shoutcast.

Do you think this will be enough to start?

Thank yo
    Anthony

Re:Hardware?

Depending on your user base 128 Mb, maybe fine. Though if you have a large user base, it may be a good a idea to up your memory by a few Mb's.

what size user db is to big?

Good Guru

Thats not the question to ask. What is at most concern is how much data needs to be calculated per second average. If your DB is very heavily accessed, then even a few users could tax it. But very rare accesses can yield far superior performance metrics with 10x the users.

Atan old job, we had an MS-SQL database on a dual P2-266 with 512MB of ram and it was pretty decent. We had a rather heavy load, though. The entire company accessed constantly that database somehow.

My best reccomendation is to get it going using what you have. If it seems like you should be running smoother, add more RAM. RAM is far superior to performance than CPU. The other very important metric to consider is the hard disk. Slow hard discs can bottleneck the entire DB server. Striping + Mirroring is my personal choice, but also check the throughput rate of the drive(s).

Well, i'm running a decent size db.. Not to big to start no users yet. Cuase it isn't open., But i'm also running it with 2 other txt based low low accessed websites and a shoutcast server. My only prob is i don't know if my isp will allow me to stick in more ram?

Good Guru

What does the ISP have to do with your adding of RAM ?

I'm guessing that by ISP he means host.

Good Guru

Even that you are co-locating your box, it should not matter whether you are adding RAM or upgrading CPU. Most of the colo are configured with space ( as in either 1U, 2U or 4U ) and the access rate ( with 30 GB/month or something similar ). So upgrading a hardware should not be really a problem unless you don't own the box.