Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renter's Rights?

Hybrid View

Renter's Rights?

Hey guys,

I am wanting to move out from my folk's place. Rent here in my city is pretty expenseve. I would only afford rent food and gas money and not much more. I saw a place in the city I work in for like $230 less than what I would pay in the city I live in. The studios are a bit in the ghetto. But they are across the street from an elementry school. And like a block from work.

Moving there I would save $230 a month live in a ghettoish studio and have some spent gas money in my pocket instead.

Anyways, is there a way or am I intilted to get like some kind of log or stats of criminal/police activity in the complex.

Hope this all makes sense. Thanks.

Good Guru

Re:Renter's Rights?

Sure thats all public record. Call the precinct's office and ask for a report. Worst case, they give you a URL and tell you to find it yourself.

Trust me, if its that close, Id take it, and install a security system. You can get a pimped version for <1000 and that would be professionally installed at 75-100 an hr. Do it yourself for <400.

Well I just logged on to my bank and they have renter's insurance. Not sure how good that would be.

I would think being infront of an elementry school would mean it has to be sort of safe.

I know that there is laws about drugs being a certain distance from a school would get someone in big trouble.

Good Guru

Well being a criminal doesnt make one intelligent too ;D

hey man look on the bright side

1) you'd be close to work
    2) easy access to all kinds of drugs
    3) you'd save money (provided you don't spend it all on drugs)

what more could a man want???

I once lived across the street from a police dept. and it was all kinds of drug houses & dealings in that area!

Good Guru

A friend of mine's car was stolen from parking space from China Town police station street in San Francisco .

So yeah, having close to Elementary School won't deter criminals.

But there are things you can do. Call the city hall of the city you want to move to and find out about the area. Go there and kind of hang around for a bit at weekends and stuff. When I was living at apartments, I used to go there at nights ( at various times ) and check them out. One time, I found out about a noisy neighbor-to-be when I went there at weekends. They were playing loud-ass music and who-knows-what-they-were-smoking kind of crowd. I told the manager that I'm no longer interested.

But that is not to say that you won't have problems. It's just some steps you can take to avoid possible problems.

Having close to work is great. Driving is a bitch man. I used to live far from my work. After I moved last year and had to drive one time to a friend of mine's company, I quickly realized how lucky to be able to live close to work and stuff.

Don't rely on your bank's ( no charge ) renter's policy and stuff ( but find out exactly what is being cover and what not ). I remember having life insurance from my bank capping at $ 1000. I mean, it's free and all but $ 1000 is like nothing when you are dead.

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=14;threadid=9475;start=0#msg85904 date=1089175436]
    I know that there is laws about drugs being a certain distance from a school would get someone in big trouble.
    [/quote]
    I think it's double penalty or something. I'm pretty sure same applies to alochol and tabbacy, even if you are old enough.

Good Guru

Maybe where you are, but its only possession of a minor and distributing to a minor here in the Milwaukee area. I know a few people that literally live across the street from a school, and we drink beer and smoke all the time. Now we would be up shit creek without a paddle if we gave a minor booze, or a 17< year old tobacco, and better off dead distributing drugs. That I think is like 5 laws broken right there (possession with intent to sell, distribution, distribution near schoolyards, child endangerment, and probably narcotics use).

[quote author=Countach44 link=board=14;threadid=9475;start=0#msg86006 date=1089324761]I'm pretty sure same applies to alochol and tabbacy, even if you are old enough.
    [/quote]

You mean having booze/smokes or selling? If you mean having, think of the primary use of the external door of the catwalk stairwell. That's right, it's a go-outside-and-smoke door.

Booze I dunno about on school grounds, but the neighborhood has bars.

But yeah selling drugs on school grounds is a heavier crime than selling drugs off school grounds.

(For those that think I have an insane amount of knowledge about his school/school's surronding area, it's my former school)