Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help, please! [rm'ed /usr/X11R6]

Associate

Re:help, please! [rm'ed /usr/X11R6]

ok, i decided to install kde......so i downloaded all the .tgz packages but i am going to need a little bit of help installing them....what do i do? just uncompress them to a folder and then what?

[quote author=zbobo link=board=2;threadid=9456;start=0#msg86857 date=1090270585]
    ok, i decided to install kde......so i downloaded all the .tgz packages but i am going to need a little bit of help installing them....what do i do? just uncompress them to a folder and then what?
    [/quote]

*.tgz for slackware are usually binaries. You don't untar them.

you do:

installpkg *.tgz

and then do that to all the KDE packages. Then run xwmconfig.

Associate

Ok, thanx, i got kde going, i like it, but i have one little problem....how can i make the Konsole, the KDE terminal emulator, to color the text when i use a command like ls without allways specifing the --color string?

hello,
    alias ls to be ls --color . Most people put a line like that in their ~/.bashrc file.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=2;threadid=9456;start=0#msg86978 date=1090504795]
    hello,
    alias ls to be ls --color . Most people put a line like that in their ~/.bashrc file.

[/quote]

pbharris is right. If you always want colors, you can just put:

alias ls='ls --color=auto'

in your ~/.bashrc file or if you just want it temporarily: you can type in: alias ls='ls --color=auto' in your terminal (present one) and you should be able to see color.

Note: After you put that line in your ~/.bashrc file, make sure you just source it once: source ~/.bashrc

Associate

Thanx guys.....well, it looks like i still have much to learn (and understand) about linux.....so thanks for being so understanding with a beginner!