Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

help, please! [rm'ed /usr/X11R6]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help, please! [rm'ed /usr/X11R6]

Associate

help, please! [rm'ed /usr/X11R6]

ok, looks like i accidentally deleted my /usr/X11R6/ folder....so now i can't start XWindows anymore.....any idea how i can get it back?

[edit:gorn]make your Subject descriptive, generic subjects get ignored and make searches annoying[/edit]

Re:help, please!

reinstall the X packages from you distro... if you installed from a CD, just insert the CD, look for some packages called XFree86 or Xorg and install those

what distro are you running btw? (installation of packages can be very different depending on the distro)

Associate

I run Slackware 9.1 but i no loonger have the installation cd-s.....can i find the kit on the net or something? And, how do i remove all XWindows configuration files so i can install another from scratch?

Associate

Ok, i unninstalled the rest of Xwindows and downloaded the Xfree86.....but now i have some trouble configuring it.....how do i select the deafult window manager? Like Gnome, Fluxbox or kDE?

in your home folder you should have a file called .xinitrc
    if not add it, put in
    Code:
     exec startkde
    if you want kde or
    Code:
     exec fluxbox
    for fluxbox and then when you write startx in console X will read .xinitrc and execute

you got it going? Otherwise I'll be on IRC in about an hour (@ work right now). I have Slack 9.1 and I can email you my stuff to patch through.

[quote author=zbobo link=board=2;threadid=9456;start=0#msg85736 date=1088851331]
    Ok, i unninstalled the rest of Xwindows and downloaded the Xfree86.....but now i have some trouble configuring it.....how do i select the deafult window manager? Like Gnome, Fluxbox or kDE?
    [/quote]
    Code:
    xwmconfig
    is the command for selecting a windows manager.

Associate

Thank you all for your replys....well, here's what i did:
    I insalled the XFree86 Xwindows system, so the xwmconfig command dosen't work now, i edited the .xintric file and tested some of the windows managers already installed: some worked, some didn't, so i decided to download and install KDE, i did it, but i think i missed somethink because the startkde command dosen't work....
    Mor_gath, what windows manager do you have and how did you configure it?

Associate

well, i managed to fix it! i Configured the XFree86 to suit my monitor and video card and i now run gnome.....thanx, u were very helpfull!
    Now, although for me, gnome is much like any other windows manager, you could point me to another that you think is better !

Re:help, please! [rm'ed /usr/X11R6]

its really what "you" think is better. its really trial and error. fluxbox is fast, not hard to configure, kde is very easy and i like it alot better than gnome. most noobs run kde or gnome. when you get more of the hang of it and you want more speed, compile fluxbox. some distros even come with it as well, sometimes it will be blackbox instead(similar)