Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

SATA Hard drives.

Thread: SATA Hard drives.

Mentor

SATA Hard drives.

I'm probably/hopefully going to be upgrading to a new motherboard/CPU in the next few weeks, and when I do so will be getting a motherboard with SATA support.
    What is the linux support like for SATA? I'm probably going to need to get another hard drive before the end of the year, and I would like to get SATA, but obviously only if it is supported.
    I know the support is in the kernel, but has anyone actually used it? And if so, how goes it?
    Cheers
    CP

Re:SATA Hard drives.

Hi CP,
    I have two SATA drives, one is about the first SATA drive on the market on a Silicone Image 3112 controller, it woked greak on kernel 2.4 but have had it lock up with 2.6, i needed to have the max request set to 15 kB per request. my new hard drive works perfectly though.
    let me know if you need more details.

[quote author=CP link=board=3;threadid=9453;start=0#msg85695 date=1088765445]
    I'm probably/hopefully going to be upgrading to a new motherboard/CPU in the next few weeks, and when I do so will be getting a motherboard with SATA support.
    What is the linux support like for SATA? I'm probably going to need to get another hard drive before the end of the year, and I would like to get SATA, but obviously only if it is supported.
    I know the support is in the kernel, but has anyone actually used it? And if so, how goes it?
    Cheers
    CP
    [/quote]

With sata support, it's really not about the disks, it's all about the controller. If you're using kernel 2.6, most of today's sata controllers are supported, but in controller only fashion, mostly not RAID. The only raid exceptions are 3ware cards (which still use a SATA to PATA bridge on the card) and well, thats about it as far as OSS drivers. For controllers, most promise controllers are supported, sillicon image has the Sil3112 and Sil3114 chipsets, both supported, Intel has the Ich6 which uses piix module and it's supported. VIA has a few out there, supported as well. We use SATA in most of the workstation Pogo sells, as well as some of the servers. On the whole it's been pretty decent, although you run into some weirdness at times. Like some SATA drivers (those part of libata) 'give' the disk to the OS as a SCSI disk, so you have certian limitations (like partition numbers), while other SATA controllers report as a regular IDE device. It can be quite confusing at times. Also, many vendors are toeing the line between SATA-I and SATA-II, so they'll have all the SATA-I features, but also use some SATA-II features which may or may not be supported in Linux. But, if you're just looking for a new way to connect your disks, then SATA is pretty cool.

Mentor

Cool, thanks guys. I'm definitely going to get a new CPU and mobo, but I haven't decided about HD yet. That may be a month or two off.

[quote author=CP link=board=3;threadid=9453;start=0#msg85818 date=1088997425]
    Cool, thanks guys. I'm definitely going to get a new CPU and mobo, but I haven't decided about HD yet. That may be a month or two off.
    [/quote]

Wait for the seagate barracuda 400GB sata drive.. yum!

SATA not recognized on SUSE 10.1 new install

All: Am trying to install a fresh SUSE 10.1 on a new system. All devices are seen except the system cannot find the harddrive. It sees both the IDE contraoller and the AHCI/SATA controller. This is a new ASUS A8V-MX, LG DVD R/RW, Maxtor 160Gb SATA drive, 1Gb memory, 1 floppy disk.

Any help here would be great. Thanks, Abe.