Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Looking Glass Anyone?

Re:Project Looking Glass Anyone?

are you guys really that interested in a 3D Desktop? it's definitely nice eye candy, but i really can't imagine it being more usable than a regular 2D desktop

Mentor

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=6;threadid=9448;start=#msg85663 date=1088705866]
    are you guys really that interested in a 3D Desktop? it's definitely nice eye candy, but i really can't imagine it being more usable than a regular 2D desktop
    [/quote]

It's eye candy. People like eye candy.

I think eventually somebody will come up with a reason why 3d computing is better/more efficient to work with, right now I can't think of any.

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=6;threadid=9448;start=0#msg85663 date=1088705866]
    [/quote]

Right now 2D is more productive because we think about computer in 2D. Once a couple of enlightened people can start taking advantage of 3D, we will start getting somewhere better.

Here's a 3D usage that's in a software available for Linux now (FSV): when you look at directories, bigger directories means bigger total file size, so it's easy to find where all that missing hard drive space comes from. That's just one example, I'm sure that if we all think, we can find things.

[quote author=GnuVince link=board=6;threadid=9448;start=#msg85666 date=1088708012]
    Here's a 3D usage that's in a software available for Linux now (FSV): when you look at directories, bigger directories means bigger total file size, so it's easy to find where all that missing hard drive space comes from. That's just one example, I'm sure that if we all think, we can find things.
    [/quote]

OH MAN that thing looks AWESOME! I may have to try that BEAST OUT!!! VERY NICE

Mentor

[quote author=Izan Seth link=board=6;threadid=9448;start=#msg85667 date=1088710652]
    OH MAN that thing looks AWESOME! I may have to try that BEAST OUT!!! VERY NICE
    [/quote]

I did, but didn't get so excited about it. The KDE 1.0 look kinda stinks. It took about a minute before it displayed my home folder. It segfaulted after a minute. I didn't bother to restart it. I didn't find anything useful in it.

... even the idea of a 3d file manager makes me sick.. then again I really like Spatial Nautilus so I guess I'm odd.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=6;threadid=9448;start=0#msg85670 date=1088712689]
    ... even the idea of a 3d file manager makes me sick.. then again I really like Spatial Nautilus so I guess I'm odd.
    [/quote]

Some people just need more time to adjust to radically new, innovative ideas. When GUI's, mice and all were invented at Xerox PARC in the 70's, not everyone went out and adopted them. Apple adopted those in 1984, Windows in the 90's. Modern object oriented programming was invented in those days too, yet people stuck with imperative C programming for another 20-25 years before starting to see that maybe OO was a good idea.

[quote author=Baron_Flambe link=board=6;threadid=9448;start=0#msg85643 date=1088693574]
    Wasn't that the doomsday machine in "The Pink Panther Strikes Again"? ;D
    [/quote]
    Yes, yes it was. I actually own that film.