Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Don't want to go back to windows, but..

Thread: Don't want to go back to windows, but..

Don't want to go back to windows, but..

Switched from server 2003 to slackware 9.1 a few weeks ago, but now I have to switch back because the following issues...

1. unstable multimedia playback... with KDE 3.2, the built-in kaboodle plays media files fine, but xine with better interface simply crashes X sometimes. Sometimes it works fine with all the control during the playback, but it gets to the point that I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes X simply quit and lock down the keyboard.

2. low compatibility with microsoft office. Given that microsoft format is a pre-requitiste in today's business world, the awful word filter of Openoffice simply doesn't cut it (entirely different format while reading the content fine), not to mention that Kword doesn't even read my simple word file. While I totally agree that PDF would be a better choice in interchaging business documents, it's simply not the case yet.

sigh..

Re:Don't want to go back to windows, but..

1) Try mplayer, one of the best players for any Operating System.

2) You're pretty much ass out on this one, until Microsoft decides to open up their file formats or start using industry wide standards. You can also try using RTF instead of doc, most Office Suites handle RTF just fine.

Either way hope you enjoyed your stay.

Happy, slacking.

Personally I use either RTF or plain text as a matter of course anyway, even in Windows. MS Office formats aren't even consistent between different versions of their own software.

yea get mplayer... you'll _never_ wanna go back to using multimedia on windows again... trust me on that one

and Microsoft Office works very well with Wine

Good Guru

I have used OpenOffice for over 4 years for dealing with word and excel documents. The only thing that hasnt improved is activex and vb script support. Which, by the way, probably wont get done

I've tried mplayer. It doesn't open up vcd (the button's not clickable) and freezed if I try to load a file due to a codec problem (while kaboodle and xine works)...
    I just find it a big pity that while most appz work seamlessly (installed and works), the multimedia (did i mention the alsa sound) is just a pain...

[quote author=Schotty link=board=14;threadid=9446;start=0#msg85649 date=1088695945]
    The only thing that hasnt improved is activex and vb script support. Which, by the way, probably wont get done
    [/quote]

i heard Novell is trying to develop something which converts vbscript to the OpenOffice equivalent

Looks shiny, but have you used it?

Good Guru

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=14;threadid=9446;start=0#msg85656 date=1088698750]
    [quote author=Schotty link=board=14;threadid=9446;start=0#msg85649 date=1088695945]
    The only thing that hasnt improved is activex and vb script support. Which, by the way, probably wont get done
    [/quote]

i heard Novell is trying to develop something which converts vbscript to the OpenOffice equivalent
    [/quote]

Wow. That is a task to be noted.