Thread: gcc-3.3.3 compile error(Gentoo)

Hybrid View

gcc-3.3.3 compile error(Gentoo)

Hi guys and gals.

I have had a fully functioning Gentoo install for over a year I believe.

The other day I tried to update my install like I usully do and my computer is stuck on compiling gcc.

These are my cflags:

Code:
    LAGS="-march=athlon -O3  -fmove-all-movables -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -pipe"
    Here is the error I get:

Code:
    d; first ignored character is `8'
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1165: Error: suffix or operands i  valid for `mov'
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1165: Warning: rest of line ignor  d; first ignored character is `9'
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1167: Error: suffix or operands i  valid for `mov'
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1167: Warning: rest of line ignor  d; first ignored character is `,'
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1189: Error: suffix or operands i  valid for `mov'
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1189: Warning: rest of line ignor  d; first ignored character is `,'
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1209: Error: suffix or operands i  valid for `mov'
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1209: Warning: rest of line ignor  d; first ignored character is `,'
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1231: Error: suffix or operands i  valid for `mov'
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1231: Warning: rest of line ignor  d; first ignored character is `,'
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1264: Error: missing or invalid i  mediate expression `' taken as 0
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1264: Error: suffix or operands i  valid for `mov'
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1264: Warning: rest of line ignor  d; first ignored character is `,'
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1283: Error: missing or invalid i  mediate expression `' taken as 0
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1283: Error: suffix or operands i  valid for `mov'
    /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/temp/ccoU2y9a.s:1283: Warning: rest of line ignor  d; first ignored character is `,'
    make[2]: *** [genattr.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/work/build/gcc'
    make[1]: *** [stage1_build] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r6/work/build/gcc'
    make: *** [bootstrap-lean] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.3.3-r6 failed.
    !!! Function src_compile, Line 553, Exitcode 2
    !!! (no error message)

Thanks to Lovechild I know I'm a ricer. But still Gentoo has worked great. If anyone can help your help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re:gcc-3.3.3 compile error(Gentoo)

compile errors like that usually indicate hardware problems... is the machine overheating? is it overclocked?

also, try running a memory test... it might also be bad ram

I know this isn't the answer you want but I'm sure you knew it was coming, I would bump back those CFLAGS a little bit.

I got a similar error while compiling gcc(version 3.2.3 I think) while using -O3, I bumped it back to -O2 and it was fine.

I've actually been tried to compile gcc with and with out CFLAGS. Still get errors.

Somebody else has asked me whether I overclock my computer. This box is not over clocked and It has been compiling big things like gcc glibc with out a problem for over a year.

So now I am thinking either my box is bad or something is wrong with my gentoo install. Hopefull you guys can continue to reply so I can figure out what it is.

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=2;threadid=9444;start=0#msg85621 date=1088635511]
    I've actually been tried to compile gcc with and with out CFLAGS. Still get errors.

Somebody else has asked me whether I overclock my computer. This box is not over clocked and It has been compiling big things like gcc glibc with out a problem for over a year.

So now I am thinking either my box is bad or something is wrong with my gentoo install. Hopefull you guys can continue to reply so I can figure out what it is.
    [/quote]
    Mmm...I think you might have a better chance posting on the Gentoo forum...

I already did. Haven't had much more response than here. :'(

Only other thing I can think of is try compiling gcc's dependencies with less aggressive flags.
    One of the packages it depends on could be broken but it still finished compiling.

I got errors similar to those once, when I was trying to compile an app with inline assembly. However, when I turned off all optimizations, it compiled fine (so try something like -O0).

P.S. The errors may be also caused by invalid inline assembly code. GCC has changed their inline ASM syntax over past releases.

going by the error i would drop the "-fmove-all-movables". Personally i think -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer are conservative but probably all one really needs. the gains are very very slight with more agressive flags.

I've taken out all flags out and still get the error. I will now be switching to Suse Pro 9.1.