Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

OPenBSD and nat issues.

Thread: OPenBSD and nat issues.

Good Guru

OPenBSD and nat issues.

I am having difficulty getting NAT to work. I currently have the port forwarding setup, the PF set to go on, and a pair of rules to allow all traffic in and out. My nat rule is as follows:

nat on xl0 from ne3:network to any -> (xl0)

I know the line is good, but for some reason it just wont nat. It allows ssh, dhcp reqests, etc. Just no damn nat!

Ideas?

Thanks
    Andrew

Re:OPenBSD and nat issues.

did you setup the NAT rules after you initially setup your PF rules? I bet you're not reloading the NAT rules. 'pfctl -R -f /etc/pf.conf' will only reload the PF ruleset. NAT is not included in that. In order to do NAT you must do 'pfctl -N -f /etc/pf.conf'.

Let me know that works. And if it does, 'man pfctl' for more info on crazy flags it uses. :-)

BTW, my NAT rule just looks like this.

"nat on $ext_if inet -> ($ext_if)"

Just does NAT on the external interface and rewrites all outgoing packets with the IP of the external interface.

PF is simply amazing...

Good Guru

No, the rules are there as specified. I can see the nat rule by going:

pfctl -sn

Which shows the nat rule(s). It is getting updated. It is something else I think. I dunno, I am getting an iso as we speak of 3.0. I will try that and upgrade to each successive release until it either breaks (and go one back) or I get success on 3.5.

I am utterly lost as to what is wrong here.

Hmm, you don't have any 'no nat' rules before the NAT rule, do you? You probably know the ruleset works on a last match basis, but the NAT rules work on a first match basis (like IPFW on FreeBSD). Would you mind posting a bit (or all) of your ruleset so I can see where the problem may lie. I'm running PF on OpenBSD 3.5, but I doubt there's any real difference between my config and yours.

BTW, do you have IP forwarding enabled? That could also be an issue. You can change it with 'sysctl -w ....' or just change the value in /etc/rc.conf and restart.

Good Guru

no just the three rules

1 nat
    2 pass all in
    3 pass all out

Not much to really screw up ;D

IP forwarding is enabled, right?

I think it's "pass all in" and "pass all out" too.

Good Guru

yep and yep.

I was paraphrasing. I have shown alot of people the files and the exact syntaxes to get a dumb look, and "Damn, WTF isn't right??!"

The pf commands I am sure are right. Its something to do with the rest that isnt. As far as I recall and could find, all I needed to do was enable pf, and set ipforwarding on -- easiest place being in /etc/rc.conf.

Good Guru

Well it wasnt 3.5. 3.0 is doing the same thing. I am going to have to take a deeper look at what is going on.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=10;threadid=9435;start=0#msg85717 date=1088796158]
    Well it wasnt 3.5. 3.0 is doing the same thing. I am going to have to take a deeper look at what is going on.
    [/quote]

Post the answer when you figure it out. You might want to try asking at bsdvault.net as well.

Good Guru

Thanks ash.

I put it on the back burner for now. I was wayyy too busy the past couple weeks to really care. Hopefully it improves in the near future.