Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How Do I Install Drivers???

Thread: How Do I Install Drivers???

How Do I Install Drivers???

I have recently aquired some 3D drivers for my S3 UniChrome graphics card for Linux. However, I have no idea how to install it. It is a graphics driver, so does that mean I have to recompile the kernel just to get 3D support under linux? Is there an easier way to install drivers?
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Usually you do have to recompile the kernel for it. Did the drivers come with documentation?
    Steve

Advisor
    yea, if the drivers did not come with the kernel, then we can't really tell you the install process as it is different for each driver supplier, if it does come with the kernel, you need to build your own kernel.

if you already have the driver built into the kernel inserting it into the kernel is easy:

Code:
    insmod [driver-name]
    modprobe [driver-name]

Advisor
    the insmod is unnecessary, simply modprobe <driver> will work

modprobe does the same thing as insmod except for it also handles dependancies

insmod is/not required dependant upon the kernel version and the location of the driver, it cant hurt.........