Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WAS: Funny joke - Politics debate

WAS: Funny joke - Politics debate

An American companies clothing label in France

[edit:gorn]title fix[/edit]

Funny joke

It's so ridiculous that they (the french) hate us so much, we've bailed them out, what, 3 times?

Funny joke

[quote author=Corrupt Countach44 link=board=17;threadid=9210;start=0#msg85216 date=1088191610]
    It's so ridiculous that they (the french) hate us so much, we've bailed them out, what, 3 times?
    [/quote]

That was an American company that had the tag. It's Americans that hate us, not just the French.

...And it's true we didn't elect him.

Funny joke

Actually in Canada. The tag is in both English and French, whereas in France it would be in French only.

And personally I find that hilarious

Funny joke

[quote author=Corrupt Countach44 link=board=17;threadid=9210;start=0#msg85216 date=1088191610]
    [/quote]

<hippie voice>stop living in the past man!</hippie voice>

the french (and the rest of the world for that matter) don't like (or even hate) the US because of their <b>current</b> foreign policy (if you can even call it that)... not because of what they did 56 or so years ago.

before Bush raped democracy in the US by assuming power even though the majority of people DID NOT vote for him, most of France didn't have problems with the US. They have their own opinion on stuff, and they're not affraid to be critical. The 'idea' of the French 'hating' the US only lived in the minds of americans. Right now, it's true... blame your government for that. But before Bush stole the election, they did NOT hate americans. But look at american TV shows and you often see them ridiculing the French or making outragously false statements about them. It's been that way for years now. if anyone is feeding this so-called hate, it's the US.

by the way, it might interest you to know that a survey of about a year ago showed that over 70% of EUROPE thinks the US is the biggest threat to peace. That's right, the US is considered to be a bigger threat to peace than all of the terrorists in the world combined. Perhaps you should sit back and think about that for a while, and then wonder why we don't like, or even hate, the US.

that same survey also reveiled that Bush was the most hated man in Europe, with Osama Bin Laden being second. We don't like terrorist and we'd like to see as few of them as possible. But we do not like the way the US is going about the whole situation. Your War On Terror is gonna be just as succesful as your War On Drugs.

Good Guru

Funny joke

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=17;threadid=9210;start=0#msg85230 date=1088197012]
    the french (and the rest of the world for that matter) don't like (or even hate) the US because of their <b>current</b> foreign policy (if you can even call it that)... not because of what they did 56 or so years ago.[/quote]
    Well, I don't agree with that. It was not one event that contributed to that. It was many small events that lead to it.
    Plus, it was more about some people's obssession. If you actually meet with people, it was not the case as you will find out quickly. It was more of people who have never been to outside of country and know how they actually live or those who have never been to US and how WE actually live. It was more of like misunderstandings.

before Bush raped democracy in the US by assuming power even though the majority of people DID NOT vote for him, most of France didn't have problems with the US.
    That is absolutely bull shits. Bush assumed power through legal means and he is the President of USA no matter you like it or not ( or anyone for that matter ).
    I'm not defending him just because I'm republican or pretend I even like him. I'm registered Independent, dislike him from my guts, didn't vote for him and will not vote for him EVER.
    US political system is NOT based on popular vote unlike some other political systems. We are built with the states that are united. So every states have their rights to vote in presidential elections and elect electroal college repersentatives. So when USA has elections, we DO NOT held elections at once. We held elections in states level. Each states will determine who gets the votes for that states only. For example, For California, Al Gore won the election. So we send the delegates of 497 ( according to our polulation ) to the meeting of electroal college meeting that will elect our President. We DO NOT vote for the President directly. We vote for the delegates who will represent US with the notion that who we wanted to be voted at the meeting.

The 'idea' of the French 'hating' the US only lived in the minds of americans.
    I absolutely agree.
    Just because some bashing had done to us or any other country for that matter, it doesn't mean the opinion of the whole country. We bash other countries ALL the time and do does others on us. Big deal.

Right now, it's true... blame your government for that.
    I do. All the time. ;D

But before Bush stole the election, they did NOT hate americans.
    I don't know about before Bush thing ( and, again, Bush DIDN'T steal our election ). As far as I can remember, it had been this way ( and there are some truth to it ). I'm a very frequent travelar to outside of US and I KNOW how it is. There are things that we do that irretate others and make others jealous of our rights implemented.

But look at american TV shows and you often see them ridiculing the French or making outragously false statements about them.
    Oh man, do you really think US lives like whatever ( your so-called ) TV shows?? I must tell you; TV is for entertainment medium. It's not real lives.

if anyone is feeding this so-called hate, it's the US.
    Yeap.

by the way, it might interest you to know that a survey of about a year ago showed that over 70% of EUROPE thinks the US is the biggest threat to peace.
    That's always the case with superpowers. If the world is left with only one superpower, then it becomes the threat to the world itself. Why? There is no balance check which US condone itself in its constitution. But that's not by our choice. USSR failed in the fight, what are we to do?

Perhaps you should sit back and think about that for a while, and then wonder why we don't like, or even hate, the US.
    I can tell you that, a lot of it is just pure jealousy.

Bush was the most hated man in Europe
    It will be conforting you to know that it's also true in US and Asia. Yeap, there is a good portion of Americans who HATE Bush with their guts.

But we do not like the way the US is going about the whole situation.
    Many Americans felt the same way as well. The USA/Gollup(sp?) poll shows that 54% think Iraq war was a mistake.
    And also there was a study outlining that how US war on terror had benefited the most evil US enemy in Middle East, Iran. With being two Iran's biggest rival in Islamic world gone under US Military might, the power vaccum had created Iran as the biggest single power in Middle East.

Well, a few years down the road, we hope that democratic ( even if little chance of being totally democratic ) states as Iraq and Afghanistan, they will counter-balance Iran.

Funny joke

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=17;threadid=9210;start=0#msg85257 date=1088278324]
    Plus, it was more about some people's obssession. If you actually meet with people, it was not the case as you will find out quickly. It was more of people who have never been to outside of country and know how they actually live or those who have never been to US and how WE actually live. It was more of like misunderstandings.
    [/quote]
    misunderstandings indeed... but you don't hear the french talking so negatively over americans as much as you hear americans talking in a negative way about the french. people in france (or europe in general for that matter) just don't care about how people in america live. we usually don't make jokes about american culture or how americans live because we simply couldn't care less. we do have strong opinions on american politics but only because it affects us and we have no control over it whatsoever. But you often hear americans tell jokes about the french... hell sometimes it's just bashing really. This so called obsession as you call it just doesn't exist over here. I don't think i can't say the same for your country though.

Bush assumed power through legal means and he is the President of USA no matter you like it or not ( or anyone for that matter ).
    i really wonder how it would've turned out if Jeb Bush wasn't the governor of Florida. Perhaps Gore could've won it in Florida. Through legal means.

Oh man, do you really think US lives like whatever ( your so-called ) TV shows?? I must tell you; TV is for entertainment medium. It's not real lives.
    saddly, a lot of people get brainwashed by TV on a daily basis. If American TV shows a lot of those false statements about the French, a lot of idiots will believe it. Here are 2 more examples to illustrate my point:
    1) "Saddam has links to Al Qaeda"... they said it on TV about a thousand times so it must be true right? Right.....
    2) "Saddam had weapons of mass destruction"... they said it on TV about thousand times so it must be true right? Right... The only WMD Saddam had are Weapons of Mass Dissappearance (and yes, i stole that joke from Michael Moore)

That's always the case with superpowers. If the world is left with only one superpower, then it becomes the threat to the world itself. Why? There is no balance check which US condone itself in its constitution. But that's not by our choice. USSR failed in the fight, what are we to do?
    for some reason, Europe did not consider the US a threat to peace when Clinton was president. But they were a superpower back then too. They've always been a superpower. Yet Europe didn't consider the US a threat until Bush got busy. The only reason that survey i mentioned was newsworthy over here was because it was _the first time_ so many people in Europe thought this way.

Perhaps you should sit back and think about that for a while, and then wonder why we don't like, or even hate, the US.
    I can tell you that, a lot of it is just pure jealousy.
    yea i think i've heard this one a lot of times as well. Once again, we are not jealous of the US. I challenge you to find one country in Europe where the majority of the people would love to live in a society which is virtually identical to that of the US. Trust me, you won't find one

Yeap, there is a good portion of Americans who HATE Bush with their guts.
    i know... that's why i find it so frustrating that he was ever able to fool the smart american public into voting him into office. something just isn't right about that. In fact, i find it to be very disturbing.

Many Americans felt the same way as well. The USA/Gollup(sp?) poll shows that 54% think Iraq war was a mistake.
    wasn't it just a month ago that the same poll showed that only 41% felt that way? Don't get me wrong... i'm glad it's up to 54. I just wonder why the hell it took so long in the first place.

Well, a few years down the road, we hope that democratic ( even if little chance of being totally democratic ) states as Iraq and Afghanistan, they will counter-balance Iran.
    don't count on it... many of the people in Iraq and Afghanistan are starting to hate the US more and more each day. The hate is growing and growing and growing. And you know what democracy can do with that? It can put those people in power. Seriously, i wouldn't get my hopes up.

Good Guru

Funny joke

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=17;threadid=9210;start=0#msg85265 date=1088280635]you don't hear the french talking so negatively over americans as much as you hear americans talking in a negative way about the french.[/quote]
    I believed I have. Even a few of my french friends making fun of US while they are living in US. A good friend of mine who is English made fun of me being American while I was meeting him in Asia last month. I even heard Auzzie's poking fun of Americans' love about Cold beer on Radio and TV. I forgot the brand name ( sorry, am not beer drinker that much ) but they says "Americans, always about cold beer" with Auzzie essent.
    I took all as a joke rather than offensive intentions. I told him a few British jokes as well. All in good pure fun.

people in france (or europe in general for that matter) just don't care about how people in america live.
    That, acutally, is a problem. No one cares about no one else.

we do have strong opinions on american politics but only because it affects us and we have no control over it whatsoever.
    I will have to put that on the shoulders of Europeans after WWII.

I don't think i can't say the same for your country though.
    More than you would think actually. Most Americans don't care about how others live including Europe and Asia. That's the major problem.
    I remember a few years ago, an American minor got butt slapped in Singapore for spray painting cars. Singapore didn't give in even to the Clinton ( then US President ) calling for dismissal of the sentencing. Many Americans think Singapore is barbaric country. In reality, Singapore has much lower crime rate, higher living standards and stuff ( I have been to Singapore, so I KNOW ). It's part of Asian cultural to show kids that how your actions can result in bad consequences. It's good. In America, we just talk, no action. So kids don't give a shit. We have juvenile and gang problem. Most Asian countries don't.

i really wonder how it would've turned out if Jeb Bush wasn't the governor of Florida.
    I would say, it would be the same. Remember, Florida certified as Bush winner first and Gore contested it. Plus, mostly Jeb stayed away from election dispute. It was the secretary of state for Florida who was involved in controversial recount.

saddly, a lot of people get brainwashed by TV on a daily basis. If American TV shows a lot of those false statements about the French, a lot of idiots will believe it.
    That's human problem, not specific country. If people are stupid enough to believed what TV says, then let them be losers.
    There will always be those who takes with a grain of salt.

1) "Saddam has links to Al Qaeda"...
    It IS a fact. Didn't you read what Putin ( the President of Russia ) said?

May be it wasn't serious enough to grant a war on Saddam far more that we can't really proved that Saddam DID help Al Qaida. It was just that Saddam's intelligent had some contacts with them. As a matter of fact, all MIs do have contacts with each other no matter how enemies their countries are. CIAs always have contacts with Russia Intelligence as well as Mossads always had contact with Palestine Intelligence. But they are just what they are, just contacts.

2) "Saddam had weapons of mass destruction"...
    I don't think public buy that analogy at any time no matter what the Administration made it sounds like.

for some reason, Europe did not consider the US a threat to peace when Clinton was president. But they were a superpower back then too. They've always been a superpower.
    I've listened to George Shultzs ( Reagon's Secretary of States ) in political round tables. Even in Reagon time, it's growing conception that US is the threat to world's peace with its military might. I listened to him way before Jr. Bush is president. So I don't believe it's just only now.

Yet Europe didn't consider the US a threat until Bush got busy.
    It's just because it's now much talked about. Many scholors have talked about that for many years and the same is true for having nuclear weapons. They are trying to prevent so many countries becoming nuclear capable because you never knows when one stupid leader would unwisely use their power if one is available.

The only reason that survey i mentioned was newsworthy over here was because it was _the first time_ so many people in Europe thought this way.

yea i think i've heard this one a lot of times as well. Once again, we are not jealous of the US.
    I can tell you that it's not specific to Europe. The same is true for Asia and others. It's just the way it's.

I challenge you to find one country in Europe where the majority of the people would love to live in a society which is virtually identical to that of the US. Trust me, you won't find one
    I don't think I'm ready to have the whole world coming to North America effectively becoming the world as one country. I've seen many people who just LOVE where they are. I've seen many Americans who LOVE to live in Europe as well as in Asia. I've met many. In fact, I've met many Europeans who LOVE to live in Asia and do live there. So ....... it's just personal taste.

i know... that's why i find it so frustrating that he was ever able to fool the smart american public into voting him into office. something just isn't right about that. In fact, i find it to be very disturbing.
    I thought every one knows that most people as in general are much more stupider than they think they are.

wasn't it just a month ago that the same poll showed that only 41% felt that way? Don't get me wrong... i'm glad it's up to 54. I just wonder why the hell it took so long in the first place.
    Don't believe what polls tell you too. It just depends on how the question as phrased and who they ask.
    The same thing as MS study saying that Linux shop costs much more than MS shop in ROI ( Return of Investment ). I've also read one ZDNet study saying that M$ is much more superior in technology than Linux especially comparing to Red Hat. Only one flaw, they compared Windows XP to Red Hat 6.0. They didn't lie, it was just how they compare it and what they compared with.
    If you ask the question of war on defense heavy places like Virginia and energy heavy like Texas, of course, you will see a lot of support because they benefit from defense spendings and oil trades. If you ask the same questions to places like California or Washington, then the answers will be much more dramatic.

don't count on it... many of the people in Iraq and Afghanistan are starting to hate the US more and more each day. The hate is growing and growing and growing.
    No one ever liked being occupied. Love it or hate it, that's the truth. I, for one at least, won't ever allow America being invaded or occupied. So I understand others' feelings.
    And that's why I understand the resistance resulting from US invasion. It's just plain stupid to assume that everyone will welcome us with olive branch. Plain and simple. Never in human history where invading forces didn't encounter resistant. It always was and it always will.

But kidnapping of civilians? That's bad in any religion. It's inexcusable offense anyway you look at it. I will have to say that for that, those radicals are loosing many muslims support. Even look at Saudis. They turned blind eyes on radicals inside Saudi. They didn't help them but they didn't stopped them either. With a few kidnapping and beheading, they even turn their guns to radicals and have public supporting them. With every killing of foreign nationals ( as they called infidals ), there were celebrations. Have you seen any in response to those kidnappings and beheadings? None. Not even in Palestines.

i wouldn't get my hopes up.
    For above reason, I wouldn't give my hope up.

[Edited]
    UBB tags
    [/Edited]

Funny joke

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=17;threadid=9210;start=0#msg85278 date=1088285386]
    I believed I have. Even a few of my french friends making fun of US while they are living in US.
    [/quote]
    odd, i've been to france quite a few times (my country is right above it) and i've never really noticed a general anti-US sentiment over there. Maybe it was because they were in the US at the time, and you know how it goes when you're travelling... you compare the culture to your own. Perhaps your friends thought the differences were funny or something.

A good friend of mine who is English made fun of me being American while I was meeting him in Asia last month.
    The Brittish are generally pretty funny... they love to laugh. They'll make fun of everything to get a laugh

I would say, it would be the same. Remember, Florida certified as Bush winner first and Gore contested it. Plus, mostly Jeb stayed away from election dispute. It was the secretary of state for Florida who was involved in controversial recount.
    who says he wasn't involved behind the scenes? from what i've read about the Bush family, i'd be surprised if he really didn't get involved in some way

saddly, a lot of people get brainwashed by TV on a daily basis. If American TV shows a lot of those false statements about the French, a lot of idiots will believe it.
    That's human problem, not specific country. If people are stupid enough to believed what TV says, then let them be losers.
    There will always be those who takes with a grain of salt.
    you're right... it is a human problem. but i think TV is more important to a large group of people in the US than it is over here. We don't have a lot of TV hypes over here... but when i see how much attention gets payed in the American media about the end of Friends, or the end of Seinfeld a few years ago, or stuff like Tempation Island and Survivor, i can't help but think that it must be very important to a large group of people over there. We have those shows over here as well, but people just don't pay as much attention to it.

It IS a fact. Didn't you read what Putin ( the President of Russia ) said?
    yea i read it... it's funny though how much his version differs from the Bush administration's version. yes there were contacts between them... but there was no real collaboration going on. even though both sides wanted to... the ideological differences between Saddam and his followers (being a Saddam follower mainly meant being a yes-man who feared for his life) and Osama and his followers (radical muslims) were a big issue, and the fact that Saddam had a completely inaccurate view on his own military strength also played a very important role. Also don't forget that Saddam was despised by many of Osama's followers because he was anything but a devote Muslim. Both sides recognized that there were oppurtinities, but they failed to materialize into actual collaboration.

2) "Saddam had weapons of mass destruction"...
    I don't think public buy that analogy at any time no matter what the Administration made it sounds like.
    that was the main argument the US based their quest for war on. And at the time, the majority of the american people were in favor of the war. so they must've bought it

Even in Reagon time, it's growing conception that US is the threat to world's peace with its military might. I listened to him way before Jr. Bush is president. So I don't believe it's just only now.
    there's a difference between a growing conception, which in fact was reduced during Clinton's terms, and having over 70% of the people consider it to be more of a threat than all terrorists combined. The same terrorists the US claims are threatening everybody's freedom.

Yet Europe didn't consider the US a threat until Bush got busy.
    It's just because it's now much talked about.
    yes but why is it getting so much attention? because the US has started 2 wars in less than 4 years time. i don't think your comparison to the nuclear weapons situation is really correct in this case. the difference is that so far, only one country has abused their nuclear capability and that's been a while... all the other fears surrounding it are based on if's. The fact that so many people currently consider the US as a real threat is because of these 2 wars in the past 4 years that actually happened. Those aren't if's.

yea i think i've heard this one a lot of times as well. Once again, we are not jealous of the US.
    I can tell you that it's not specific to Europe. The same is true for Asia and others. It's just the way it's.
    but didn't you say that it was in fact because of jealousy?

I thought every one knows that most people as in general are much more stupider than they think they are.
    i know i was just being polite
    but thanks for pointing that out

Don't believe what polls tell you too. It just depends on how the question as phrased and who they ask.
    if the poll had been conducted by different organisations then i would agree. but it was the same organisation that conducted the poll that you mentioned, and the one that i mentioned. Btw, if you mention the result of a poll, don't follow it up with "don't believe what polls tell you" only a short while later

But kidnapping of civilians? That's bad in any religion. It's inexcusable offense anyway you look at it. I will have to say that for that, those radicals are loosing many muslims support.
    there's no doubt in anyone's mind (except the extremists) that those kidnappings and beheadings are outrageous. But i wasn't talking about them. I'm talking about the regular people living in those countries... those that haven't turned to the extreme side (yet). That's what i'm worried about... a lot of them will always have a lot of anti-US and anti-western sentiments in them, and some of them will even turn to the extremist side. But those that do become extremists aren't the biggest problem. The more moderately anti-western people will be the biggest problem because they have the ability to get in power, without being criticised by everyone, and then they will push forth with their anti-western agenda

Good Guru

Funny joke

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=17;threadid=9210;start=0#msg85290 date=1088289406]
    odd, i've been to france quite a few times (my country is right above it) and i've never really noticed a general anti-US sentiment over there.[/quote]
    Well, I didn't say it was general sentiment. I was just saying "that's what they did and I took that as a joke". They didn't mean anything by it but it was all in a good laugh.

Perhaps your friends thought the differences were funny or something.
    There certainly are many those are funny to you comparing others. Nothing wrong with that and nothing to take offense to if they say so. I don't personally.

The Brittish are generally pretty funny... they love to laugh. They'll make fun of everything to get a laugh
    Quite true.

who says he wasn't involved behind the scenes? from what i've read about the Bush family, i'd be surprised if he really didn't get involved in some way
    Those are all speculations. We don't know for sure and will never, I guess now. I take it as that someone is innocent until proven guilty.

But i think TV is more important to a large group of people in the US than it is over here.
    I don't know about that. I lived all my College life without TV. All my time was spent infront of my monitor.

We don't have a lot of TV hypes over here... but when i see how much attention gets payed in the American media about the end of Friends, or the end of Seinfeld a few years ago
    Like I said, it all made out by TV. No one I know made big deal about ending of those shows. I like Alley McBeal show. I didn't cry foul when it got ended. Life moves on.

stuff like Tempation Island and Survivor
    It was started by Europens and Auzzies. ;D

i can't help but think that it must be very important to a large group of people over there. We have those shows over here as well, but people just don't pay as much attention to it.
    I can't recall anyone I know cry over ending of those shows. No matter who says their final episode was watched how many people, no one I know actually waited and watched. So, : .

yea i read it... it's funny though how much his version differs from the Bush administration's version.
    Of course, it's expected. People use it to get favorable to those things.

the fact that Saddam had a completely inaccurate view on his own military strength also played a very important role.
    Have you ever lived in Military ruled country? I have. And all those rulers think BIG about their own militaries because those who worked for them made them think this way. Or else, their own life is in danger.

they failed to materialize into actual collaboration.
    I doubt they ever will. Even countries like Syria and Iran won't do stupid shit like that. They knows better. No government will openly support extremists. They will be digging their own grave like Afghan Taliban did.
    that was the main argument the US based their quest for war on. And at the time, the majority of the american people were in favor of the war. so they must've bought it
    Most were in favor at that time for Sept 11 payback. Most don't know jack about how much a war could get them involved. Most Americans don't know jack about how much the war coasts since most wars fought away from US mainland and that there were no significant war in recent history for them to know. Vietnman was the only one with significant impact on American lives and that war was a while ago. Who were involved in those wars are older now and in minority at this moment in time.

there's a difference between a growing conception, which in fact was reduced during Clinton's terms, and having over 70% of the people consider it to be more of a threat than all terrorists combined.
    Yeap, the war made it significant and made people aware even in Europe. So if ( IF ), there was no war on terror, would YOU have known that US was growing threat? During Clinton's terms, it was REDUCED doesn't mean there never were. It's just significant enough to get people's noticed ( majority of them at least ).

yes but why is it getting so much attention? because the US has started 2 wars in less than 4 years time.
    Actually, US started war ALL the time. It was just not significant.
    US invaded Panama. US also briefly occupied Somalia. Those wars were not significant because they happened far away from Europe. Middle East was in Europe's backyard so Europeans take noticed.

only one country has abused their nuclear capability and that's been a while...
    If I have to borrow your word, "stop living in the past", welcome to 21st century. ;D
    But I agree with you. Because of that weaponary capability, the world fears of any misuse even a little one. Charnoboyl(sp?) shows how serious nuclear can damage humans life to Russia and the world.
    That's why most don't want others to get their hands to. Prevention is always better than responding to a crisis.

The fact that so many people currently consider the US as a real threat is because of these 2 wars in the past 4 years that actually happened. Those aren't if's.
    See above.

but didn't you say that it was in fact because of jealousy?
    Well who says Asians aren't jealous of US as well?

but thanks for pointing that out
    Sure, it was a fact. It's not specific to Americans. It all people on the world ( including Europeans ).

if the poll had been conducted by different organisations then i would agree. but it was the same organisation that conducted the poll that you mentioned, and the one that i mentioned.
    Hey, they asked different audience for differnet results they wanted. How do you think they make money off? Just lying? They needs real facts and they know where to get and how to get it.

Btw, if you mention the result of a poll, don't follow it up with "don't believe what polls tell you" only a short while later
    Did I just say I believed those polls? I was just merely mentioning it. I DIDN'T say they were true.

I'm talking about the regular people living in those countries... those that haven't turned to the extreme side (yet). That's what i'm worried about... a lot of them will always have a lot of anti-US and anti-western sentiments in them, and some of them will even turn to the extremist side.
    I just talked to my (older) friend who lives in North Carolina whose son is a Captain in US Army and who just returned from Iraq.
    His words are that majority of Iraq are not anti-US nor anti-Western at all. They are those who just want to live their lives peacefully no matter who is governing.
    So why it wasn't on news? Because it's not interesting.
    The same thing as only haterous for US in Europe is known. The real truth that most Europeans do not hate nor like US is boring news so no one covers.