Thread: CERT Recommends Mozilla, Firefox

CERT Recommends Mozilla, Firefox

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Jun25.html

what the hell took them so long?

anyway, i doubt many windows users even care... they probably won't care until somebody steals their CC information

Re:CERT Recommends Mozilla, Firefox

Even then they probably won't switch. They'll get angry that someone stole their credit card, they'll complain to those around them, maybe back off the online banking for a while, but in time they'll forget and continue to use IE. Why? Because nobody knows what the hell Mozilla or Firefox is. Your average user is perhaps capable of separating the concepts of "computer" and "internet" but that's about as far as they tend to take it. I switched my family on to Firebird a while back and they didn't know the difference. They're still using it and they have no idea. I'll upgrade them to Firefox 1.0 when I'm back next christmas and throw on an OpenOffice 2.0 RC and they still won't know the difference. Hell, my dad is _just_ starting to explore the idea of getting a computer and doing this email thing, so I'm putting him on Linux. It handles email, web surfing, and word processing very well and you don't have to worry about worms/viruses...it's perfect for the newbie in that way.

The point I'm trying to make is that users need savvy contacts as stewards for their computers. Nobody's gonna switch to Mozilla / Firefox because of this announcement...those who are in the know have switched already, and those who aren't don't really care.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=14;threadid=9414;start=0#msg85357 date=1088364507]
    Hell, my dad is _just_ starting to explore the idea of getting a computer and doing this email thing, so I'm putting him on Linux. It handles email, web surfing, and word processing very well and you don't have to worry about worms/viruses...it's perfect for the newbie in that way.
    [/quote]

no shit... both my parents were practically complete newbies when it comes to computers, so i just put linux on their box. they can do whatever they need to do, and i don't need to worry about them messing up their system without even realizing it. it's a win-win situation.

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=14;threadid=9414;start=0#msg85364 date=1088368833]
    it's a win-win situation.
    [/quote]
    correction, it's a winLESS solution

I just moved a friend from IE to Firefox a day or two ago after he had to reformat his laptop because of viruses. His first comment when I opened Firefox… "This is Firefox? It looks the same as the other one!". hehe. Looks the same, functions much better. He's liking it so far. Another win for the Firefox team!

same thing here. And since ad companies know how to exploit every flaw in IE, everyone who has switched, has enjoyed browsing much better.

And as for the new theme on 0.9, winstripe, i made sure to remove that and put Qute back on... (it was not only ugly, but it had WIN in it)

I hooked my mom up with firefox back when it was phoenix. She used it for a few days, but then went back to IE. Her complaint? The pop-up blocking.. she uses a site that uses pop-ups that it blocked, I pointed out you just click the little picture on the bottom left of the browser but she still liked IE better. I think it's this "Microsoft is a real company therefore must be better" attitude. Some people are hopeless.