Thread: Computer case for raid array

Computer case for raid array

I'm looking for new case suggestions, but this seems a good category (I will purchase a used case if someone has a good appropriate case for the job.)

Okay, so I'm planning to put togethor a raid5 array, either 5 or 6 channel of sata drives. The machine will serve one purpose: large file server. I see no reason to use a large case, I would in fact prefer a rather small one. I was looking at micro ATX motherboards and cases, but nothing really looks appropriate.

I want a case that
    • is small
    • has at least 3 5.25" exposed bays (so I could plug something like this into it)
    • Takes normal power supplies.
    • Looks fucking kickass
    • Has good cooling.

I've been looking, however it seems most micro-atx cases are targetted towards cheapass bare bones computer setups. They use the half size power supply (I doubt that's adequate for my needs), have maybe 2 exposed 5.25" bays, have hardly any holes in the case for ventilation, and are made of flimsy materials.

So, my question is, does anyone know where I could find a decent small case for this?

Good Guru

Re:Computer case for raid array

External HDD bay cases era is gone buddy and only other cheap alternative would be to get a full tower ( or mid-tower ) and buit out of it. Micro-ATX won't do it because all they have is (may be) two external bays plus one internal.

Good Guru

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=16;threadid=9401;start=0#msg87795 date=1092154786]
    External HDD bay cases era is gone buddy and only other cheap alternative would be to get a full tower ( or mid-tower ) and buit out of it. Micro-ATX won't do it because all they have is (may be) two external bays plus one internal.
    [/quote]

Nope. There are a plethora of rack mounts that have hot swappable 3.5" drive slots in which you screw in a HDD.

Check out the chassis listed on the left on this page :
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/

And see if that is more to what you want. I would definitely find out what # of hard disks you are going to need and buy for that. A 4u is fucking huge, and priced appropriately, but can hold over 8 drives cleanly. I have seen a few 3us that do 9 or 12 HDD, but heat becomes a major concern.

Anyhoo they are there, its more of just finding what fits your needs.

Good Guru

Well, we are talking about a small units that have more HDD bays and not so much space. What you are talking about is storage units out of racks.

Of course, there are storage racks everywhere. But an 1U unit that will hold 4 HDDs will cost you around 2 thousands dollars for crying out loud.

There used to be mini-ATX cases that have a good amount of 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 storage area. Now adays, all they have is small ass units without any storage areas at all.

Plus, racks won't save you any space at all. They just spread around to differnet shape of space requirements. A rack costs you at least 1K to start with.

Compunuts is right, and I think he's right about the kind of case I was looking for not existing anymore as well.

So, I'm considering a larger case now.. the antec super lanboy. Hey, at least it'll look "cool" (and the thing weighs just over 8 pounds..), and uses 120mm intake/exhaust fans. It is larger than I had hoped for, but I'll take what I can get. Gonna be a few more months before I start purchasing that stuff anyway, so I'll keep my eyes open.

Good Guru

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=16;threadid=9401;start=0#msg87981 date=1092598657]
    Of course, there are storage racks everywhere. But an 1U unit that will hold 4 HDDs will cost you around 2 thousands dollars for crying out loud.

Plus, racks won't save you any space at all. They just spread around to differnet shape of space requirements. A rack costs you at least 1K to start with.
    [/quote]

Then your part of the world is very different. I can get a good 1u chassis for $125 and a high end intel board for $500. Granted that would approach the 1500 mark when all is said and done -- I was saying high-end. Who needs a 2x1000Bt NIC slice, quad xeons, 3GB of ram and redundant supplies? None of us. Unless its for business. However I do know many individuals who found it cheaper to get their hands on used blade, 1u, 2u, or 3u racks. Hit a repo store and get a rack. Their cost to build each machine to current specs was nil. I know a guy who has a shorty rack that serves a gaming room. The rack was made into a endtable like decoration in the middle of 4 desks.

And this is shithole milwaukee, where technology sucks at best ;D

Good Guru

Well, I guess if you have a few thousands to throw around with, it's nice to have a rack.

Hardware stores that specilized in used parts ask about 500 for used racks and about 1K for racks with housing built in.

Good Guru

Not that expensive here. I can get a regular Amd64 board (as in <300) an amd 64, 512mb ram, a scsi card and a dual intel gigabit for less than a grand. The only online order would be the amd 64 mobo and cpu. I would prefer to order crucial memory, but the kingston at the local shop isnt that much more for about equal performance.

I guess it does depend -- but if you need removeable drives, racks are designed to be able to handle them. I have dealt with HP/Compaq systems that had towers with them in it, and I cant say if it was the OS (HPUX, and Win2k) or the equipment it self, but it was flaky. However I have dealt with many many many Linux, Win2k, WinXP, FreeBSD racks that have removaeable drives that worked perfectly. Hell part of one of my days at the shop was to test drive backplanes to see how many removal/inserts it could handle. I was to remove/insert all day. The test image would count the reps. It was well into the 100K of reps. Ymmv.