Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LinuxJunior's Health

LinuxJunior's Health

Allright. Some people have expressed concerns about the health of LJR (regarding quality/quantity of members or posters.)

I opened this thread to discuss that, and to see what can we do about it.

Feel free to express any comments/ideas/suggestions.

Re:LinuxJunior's Health

Hi Trickster. I'm not a very active member, however, during my lazy meanderings through the internet I have made some highly inconclusive observations on a few linux related sites that lead me to believe that LJR is doing OK for a site of its size.

I was just looking at some of the sites that the LJR homepage links to and in some cases what I find is that some sites are low activity with very few recent forum postings and dated help-related HOW-TOs/docs. This is one extreme.

Other sites are doing very well with >100,000 members and so many recent posts that it is sometimes difficult to keep up with spme of the threads.

For a site with a relatively small member base LJR seems reasonably active. Granted, much of the discussion is between a fairly small sub-group of members and frequency of posting is sometimes low, but LJR is still an interesting place to hang out. As I have said before this forum is the only one that I find enjoyable enough to visit on a semi-regular basis and to actually submit posts.

Not sure if I'm addressing any of your concerns Trickster but I felt strongly enough about the issues raised in your post to offer my $0.02

I've always wondered why LJO never did get up the user base the LNO did back in the day. Was it because it missed the .com boom? Or was it for some other reason?

Well I have notices that we have less new threads. But I have notice that new ones that do come up get quick replies. I think we are doing good. Maybe not as busy as before but I think we are good.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=18;threadid=9345;start=0#msg84661 date=1087360902]
    I've always wondered why LJO never did get up the user base the LNO did back in the day. Was it because it missed the .com boom? Or was it for some other reason?
    [/quote]

Well when LNO started it had more of a niche, now there are pleanty of Linux Forums, so LJR has more competition.

Google ranks LJR as 4 out of 10, so its not to shabby. If you look, there are alot of visitors, just not a lot of posters. I openly admit I dont use linux as much as I used to. I got rid of some of the my computers, so I dont network personal puters enough to answer questions. I dont have broadband, so I dont host websites or mess with apache. I use HPUX11 at work all day, so when I get home, I basically game on windows. I moved here when LNO went to hell with the rest of the oldtimers, and I think its cyclical as well. Could we use some advertising, probably. Everyone I introduce linux to, I give them the url for this site.

[quote author=Blackguard Stonedog link=board=18;threadid=9345;start=0#msg84681 date=1087400775]
    Could we use some advertising, probably.
    [/quote]

That's a cool idea. Banners perhaps? The one on the front page is ideal.

I've thought about that. If Cloverm is ok with this, we can make a list of sites and contact them and do banner exchanges.

I thought about conducting some interviews like I used to do for TinyMinds and Gentoo Weekly News. That should draw some traffic to the site if we can get linked on some news sites like OSNews.
    That is if it's okay with Cloverm.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=18;threadid=9345;start=0#msg84691 date=1087405742]
    I thought about conducting some interviews like I used to do for TinyMinds and Gentoo Weekly News. That should draw some traffic to the site if we can get linked on some news sites like OSNews.
    That is if it's okay with Cloverm.
    [/quote]
    I like that idea. Certainly should boost traffic.