Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And So It Begins

Re:And So It Begins

hehe well i work for ATA right now and plan to keep working for them for the next 2-3years. and by then i should be building my hours and getting up there to 500 or so if i keep flying and flying and flying and become a CFI. and hopefully they look at me as an ATA employee of the past 4 years and hire me as a copilot for their ATA Connection flights which fly the turbo prop airplane called Saab 340.

http://www.ata.com/prod_svcs/ata_connex.html

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/290178/M/

its an awesome airplane that id love to fly.

if i can get into that plane in the next 5 years, and fly it for another couple years, hopefully i will get brought up to the 737 ;D its a long road hehe, im only 20 and i probably wont get into a plane like the 737 until im 30, i gotta have connections, fly alot, and hope for a lot of luck.

Mentor

I've been thinking about learning to fly. I live within a mile from an airport. How much does it cost to get a license for flying a small plane like a Cessna, including all the training and flight hours?

you have to have 40 hours of flight, im paying $120 per hour to fly, and no one gets it in 40 hours, cause you miss shit and have to go back up and learn it, people usually get it between 50-60 hours which totals up to about $5,000-$6,000 dollars. thats just for your private license to fly an airplane by yourself, which has weather restrictions and you cant go through clouds and shit, so you need your instrument to do that, which is just the same, another $5,000. you can see that its very expensive. thats why its such a big committment

Mentor

[quote author=burntash link=board=14;threadid=9381;start=#msg85124 date=1088101441]
    you have to have 40 hours of flight, im paying $120 per hour to fly, and no one gets it in 40 hours, cause you miss shit and have to go back up and learn it, people usually get it between 50-60 hours which totals up to about $5,000-$6,000 dollars. thats just for your private license to fly an airplane by yourself, which has weather restrictions and you cant go through clouds and shit, so you need your instrument to do that, which is just the same, another $5,000. you can see that its very expensive. thats why its such a big committment
    [/quote]

11 grand? Ouch! I'm afraid I'll have to put it off. So how much would it cost to get a professional pilot's license to fly like a 737?

its impossible to say, but you can guess. the plan is to get those licenses plus the commercial license so i can make money. to get the commercial license you need 250 hours of flight. by the time i have private and instrument, i should technically have about 120 hours. so i need 130 more hours right? well me and my friend who is finishing up his instrument are gonna start flying together when i get my private by hopefully this fall before winter kicks in and fucks up the weather to fly in. we will be renting for $40 an hour, so ill need 130 hours. thats another $5000. so we are up to $15,000. then i need to get my CFI(instructors license) to build my hours. that way my student pays me money, and i earn flighttime while they do. so im basically getting free hours while they fly. so i hopefully get a free 300 hours of teaching several students, and using the money from the job to get my multi-engine license and apply for a job at places like ATA Connection/Express. so that is when you are making money flying and you are getting flight time, you just keep moving up until you can get a job flying a commercial airliner. but its gonna take probably $20,000-$30,000 to get that done.

Good Guru

Sicne we are getting into the money questions, lets talk the real buckls.

How much is INSURANCE ?

maybe $100-$200 a year when you start renting and flying by yourself?

Good Guru

wow, thats cheap. Youd figure the planes arent cheap, things the plane can crahs into arent cheap (as in buildings). I wish I could have car insurance that cheap

Keep in mind that you spend less time in a plane than in a car, the insurance for owning a plane is probably a whole other story.

Good Guru

Thats kinda what I meant.