Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on send only mail server

Suggestions on send only mail server

Hello, many of our road warriors complain that they can't send email when they are on the road unless they use dial up. I would like to set up a send server that will authenticate via user/pass and allow them to send email. I already have a Qmail server for POP and I would rather not touch it. Any suggestions?

Re:Suggestions on send only mail server

You could use postfix and configure it not to receive, but this may override some of your current stuff...

[quote author=Corrupt Countach44 link=board=1;threadid=9355;start=0#msg84781 date=1087498134]
    You could use postfix and configure it not to receive, but this may override some of your current stuff...
    [/quote]

I agree with countach. Postfix is a good mail server.

I have no problem using Postfix but I am having a hard time finding simple docs on how to use the userass auth part. I don't want this to be crazy chore, I've already been through that with qmail.

[quote author=datamike link=board=1;threadid=9355;start=0#msg84829 date=1087565812]
    I have no problem using Postfix but I am having a hard time finding simple docs on how to use the userass auth part. I don't want this to be crazy chore, I've already been through that with qmail.
    [/quote]

Check out http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html. If you have a large number of users, try Cyrus SASL with MySQL. Also, try searching Google for something like: Postfix + Cyrus SASL + MySQL.

[edit:gorn]made URL a link[/edit]

Why not use SMTP on qmail? I use it with the qmail-smptd-auth patch and it works great.

Dont I have to recompile and everything. I have so many hours into the qmail server it runs perfectly, I am scared to touch it. If it's a drop in replacement then I will do it. Got good docs?

Heh, it's pretty much a drop-in replacement. You'll need to make minor changes to your 'rc' or 'run' script(s) in order for it to work properly. Also, your clients will need to set their MUA to use Password authentication. Here's the site. Let me know if you have any questions and would like to chat. My contact information is in my profile.

http://members.elysium.pl/brush/qmail-smtpd-auth/

BTW, if you're running FreeBSD then this is already integrated into the Ports. /usr/ports/mail/qmail-smtp_auth+tls

I decieded to build fresh on a spare machine. I used the qmailrocks.com notes for RedHat. The install went smooth and I added the script I use for adding users on our real mail server. It's a sun box and I edited it to work on RH. The problem is it doesn't I feel like a retard. I have been looking over this a million times and I still dont' get it. I can't get it to auth through pop or smtp. here is the scripts.

echo "Please enter the new qmail username.";
    read NAME;

useradd -m $NAME;
    passwd $NAME;
    echo "$NAME has been added as a UNIX user.";
    sleep 1;
    echo "Adding qmail Maildir to $NAME.";
    /usr/src/qmail/qmail-1.03/maildirmake /home/$NAME/Maildir;
    sleep 1;
    cp /qmail/.qmail-default /home/$NAME
    echo "Copied .qmail-default to $NAME's home directory.";
    sleep 1;
    echo "Changing ownership of $NAME's files to $NAME.";
    chown $NAME /home/$NAME
    chown $NAME /home/$NAME/*
    chown $NAME /home/$NAME/Maildir/*
    chown $NAME /home/$NAME/.qmail-default
    sleep 1;
    /qmail/qmailuseradd
    echo "$NAME has been added to the qmail database.";
    qmailctl reload

Why doesn't that add a new user? I am going nuts. PLease help. Sorry for the bad punctuation, I had to purge.

Hmm, could you show me the source for /qmail/qmailuseradd? I don't see where that script is touching /var/qmail/users/assign, which is where the user accounts actually reside. you're just creating a UNIX account, not a mail account.