Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

cdrom not mounting

Thread: cdrom not mounting

Associate

cdrom not mounting

Hi,
    Just tried to mount my cdrom and got the following:

bash-2.05b# mount /dev/cdrom
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
    or too many mounted file systems

What I was trying to do is play a commercially produced music CD. I actually tried 2 CDs and got the same message.

I also have a DVD and tried to mount it as /dev/cdrom0 and /dev/cdrom1 and got the following:

bash-2.05b# mount/dev/cdrom0
    bash: mount/dev/cdrom0: No such file or directory
    bash-2.05b# mount /dev/cdrom1
    mount: can't find /dev/cdrom1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    bash-2.05b#

What am I doing wrong? Just yesterday at least the CD (cdrom) worked. I tried to unmount it and I got the message that it wasn't mounted (no surprise there).

Associate
    I forgot to mention that the contents of my fstab file are:

/dev/hdb1 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/hdb2 / reiserfs defaults 1 1
    /dev/hda1 /fat-c ntfs ro 1 0
    /dev/hde1 /fat-f ntfs ro 1 0
    /dev/hde5 /fat-g ntfs ro 1 0
    /dev/hde6 /fat-h ntfs ro 1 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    \"When you go into court you are putting you fate into the hands
    of twelve people who weren\'t smart enough to get out of jury duty.\"
    Norm Crosby 8)

Advisor
    you don't mount music cd's so that doesn't suprise me, but the dvd is a bit worrisome. Do data cd's work?

Associate
    Yes, data disks work just fine. I can mount the disk and it reads good and I then just eject /dev/cdrom and it umounts and ejects the disk, but the music cd gives me the above error messages.
    Norm Crosby 8)

Out of curosity, why are you trying to mount a music disc? You don't need to mount it to rip it to ogg or mp3. Nor do you need to mount a dvd to play it (most of the players do that on their own as you start to play the disc...)

Associate
    Good question. I didn't know that you don't mount CD and DVD drives. All I can say is that when I put the disk in either of the drives, nothing happens. Nothing. When I pull up the CD player (the generic one in Slack) I get the same Drive error message for both drives.
    Norm Crosby 8)

Whats the error message? And what happens if you try it as root?

Associate

Re: cdrom not mounting

The generic CD player supplied with Slack just says "Disk error" on the face of the device. Interestingly, when I logged in as root, the CD player began to play the CD, but there was no sound and I had sound before. I went into the speaker volume control to see if anything was muted and nothing was and still no sound. The DVD player did not play the CD.

check alsamixer

It sounds like the problem with the "Disk Error" is a simple permissions issue. I'll see if I can remember what I did to get it working on my box.

As far as the dvd player goes, check the settings (are you using gxine or mplayer) to make sure that /dev/dvd is mapped to the right drive (or that the dvd player is set to use /dev/cdrom)

I think.

Associate

Re: cdrom not mounting

I got the CDrom working. The aumix controls were muted. I also had to change the permissions for the CDrom and now it works great. Now on to the printer and the DVD.
    Thanks guys for all your help. I was almost ready to give it up out of frustration.