Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux console Colors And Other Trick's

I am writeing it in ruby with embeded sh i have been looking at building a custom dbm engine i was looking at mysql but i don't know something light but able to handel 30,000 entry's or more just in case the DB gets that big.
    I am at the point were i have to make a decision some of the ruby fellows when i ask about dbm in ruby found out what i was doing and thought i was crazy to even try to build my on DB engine but 90% is allready done!
    I just not sure on how it will handel speed wise.
    Doesn't slackware use Berkley DB.
    Anyways it is almost done i am now working on LSB Packages for a chroot test enviroment.
    My System Installer is about 50% done but untill the DB is done i am stuck at a snails craw.
    Screenshot of my installer < http://www.linuxfoo.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=25 >
    This is just a test installer threw vmware i use grub as the cd bootloader you don't even see a console the cd boots strat to the installer.
    The whole system on the cd with out packages is like 25 megs
    I built a Qt based system installer but it requires some many deps that i had to put it on a dvd.
    But with the system the installer all needed qt deps packages i filled about half a dvd .
    And thats no good.

Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by comtux";p="4699
    I am writeing it in ruby with embeded sh i have been looking at building a custom dbm engine i was looking at mysql but i don't know something light but able to handel 30,000 entry's or more just in case the DB gets that big.
    I am at the point were i have to make a decision some of the ruby fellows when i ask about dbm in ruby found out what i was doing and thought i was crazy to even try to build my on DB engine but 90% is allready done!
    I just not sure on how it will handel speed wise.
    Doesn't slackware use Berkley DB.
    Anyways it is almost done i am now working on LSB Packages for a chroot test enviroment.
    My System Installer is about 50% done but untill the DB is done i am stuck at a snails craw.
    Screenshot of my installer < http://www.linuxfoo.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=25 >
    This is just a test installer threw vmware i use grub as the cd bootloader you don't even see a console the cd boots strat to the installer.
    I built a Qt based system installer but it requires some many deps that i had to put it on a dvd.
    nice!

i went to www.comtux.net "could not be found"

looking at a whois query it seems you haven't registered the domain yet. You should :P

Do you have an IRC channel for your distro?

Re: Linux console Colors And Other Trick's

This sounds really cool. I was thinking about doing something akin to this, but alas, only in my dreams. Time is something that I don't have.

I'm sure you'll let us know when you get it to work well.

Yahh i haven't got around to that yet see im really really poor!
    There is a comtux.com it looks like a spanish family website i will proble just buy him out if he lets me ill give him $50 us thats a hell of a lot of cash i mexico.
    maccorin i use to host my own website with noip but i spend 99% of my time eating sleeping and doing linux i haven't really got around to it i could just use a prefb wed templet but ahhhh no i don't think so ill build my own if linuxfoo and all you guy's and sometimes gals lived near me that would be good times lots and lots X100,000 of beer and linux ohhh ya lol

Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by comtux";p="4703
    Yahh i haven't got around to that yet see im really really poor!
    There is a comtux.com it looks like a spanish family website i will proble just buy him out if he lets me ill give him $50 us thats a hell of a lot of cash i mexico.
    maccorin i use to host my own website with noip but i spend 99% of my time eating sleeping and doing linux i haven't really got around to it i could just use a prefb wed templet but ahhhh no i don't think so ill build my own if linuxfoo and all you guy's and sometimes gals lived near me that would be good times lots and lots X100,000 of beer and linux ohhh ya lol
    i will have a static IP starting tomorrow, let me know if you need hosting or backups or anything, i like contributing to FS projects.

Same here. If you need help with web design, or just some drudgery-type coding, let me know. I'll probably learn something too.

Advisor
    i can also help with coding, although i prefer not to do web-work (i _really_ hate it)

Associate

Same for me
    I can code perl, bash and php a little - and I like webdesign.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by ZennouRyuu";p="4682
    Here is a snap of my ever so complicated bash prompt:....
    Hey Zen, mind posting your PS1 env var? I am interested to see how you did it.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

I wish my bestfriend showed the same amount of enthusiasm as you all.

I will post a project sheet of everything i am trying to do you all can take a look and tell me what you think k

BRB

Comtux Linux 1.0a

Installation:
    Dialog & Someday soon Graphical.

Default Desktop:
    KDE for now then what ever you choose.

Package Management:
    Custom tar.gz & Src (Ports or Download as you go)

Office Suite:
    OpenOfficeKde for now then what ever you choose.

Processor Arch:
    i486, i586, i686, PPC, x86_64

File Systems:
    ext2, ext3, jfs, ReiserFS, XFS

Mulitlingual:
    No for now just English

Projects that are comtux spacific:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Comtux DvdCopy <Done just need to test some more>

2. 10,000 E-book Reader based on the Gutenburg Project
    i used festival and i am building a custom e-book display appt. < 50% Done >

3. Custom Pkg manager & point and click installer < Pkg manager is 90% done and i haven't started
    on the point & click installer gui's.>

4. Voice recognition < Idea you say: Firefox and firefox opens. this is done the user needs to program
    in the voice commands.> So i consider it done.

5. Printer Driver DataBase ( Every printer driver ever know for linux contained in a installer )
    < i haven't even started.>

6. Linux System Video Tutorial on all aspects of linux relavent to comtux. ( Looking into a screen recording utillity or i
    will have to build my own)<Haven't Started>

7. Linux game installer (Install's the top 50 linux game's) <Done needs to be updated>

8. Custom Themes icons and background to replace kde defaults. ( Well a friend of mine is sappose to be working on this but
    he is lazy ) < 4% Done >

9. Custom linux system installer < 80% Done >
    You seen the screenshot.

10. System stablizer ( What this will do is repair or report error's in linux ) < Not started but i am looking forward to
    starting it >
    Example
    An appt crashes or an error is caused the system will compare the filesystem state with an image takein when the
    system was first installed prompt you with the changes and ask if you wish to roll your system back to a more stable
    state wether you choose to or not is up to you regardless the System stablizer will email the problem appts error
    message log to the appt owner for correction.

I have lot's more idea's

Now one of the idea's i have is to charge for this when it is done.
    With the money i recive i will pay developer's to fix or start wante'd apps choosen by the comtux community.

Every user will recive

1. Tech support for 90 days
    2. An email address for 1 year
    3. A 500 page manual
    4. 10 cd's and 5 Dvd all in hardshell top quality cd/dvd cases.

This is just a breif feature list everything is Open Sourced even the book so long as you summit any improveing changes to me so that everyone can make the improvements if they wish.

What i am trying to do is make money from open sourced software that way i can hire developers to build more killer appts or fix problems with say kde that are not being fixed fast enought for me.

I will make no money on the acctual appts but i will make money on training and tech support.

I will start posting better example's of everything i am doing that way you all can have an idea of how to do some of these thing and we can fill the Knowledge Base faster my ownly goal in life is to crush mirosoft i am tired of working on windows xp computers linux is bad ass and i think it is about time the world relised it!