Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LinuxJunior's Health

Re:LinuxJunior's Health

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=18;threadid=9345;start=0#msg84691 date=1087405742]
    I thought about conducting some interviews like I used to do for TinyMinds and Gentoo Weekly News. That should draw some traffic to the site if we can get linked on some news sites like OSNews.
    That is if it's okay with Cloverm.
    [/quote]

I think that's a great idea (assuming cloverm approves) You've done good interviews in the past and it would be a good draw to LJR and a good read for those of us already here.

Just a little scared, I remember what happened the last time for bastards at slashdot came running to see TinyMinds, it ate up all the bw we had for a month in a few hours and it put about 117 other sites on that server out of commision, we weren't popular at all with our host.
    The incoming hits graph was pretty though.

That's true. I guess cloverm needs to analyze the bandwidth issue before we do that then.

[quote author=trickster link=board=18;threadid=9345;start=0#msg84700 date=1087407342]
    That's true. I guess cloverm needs to analyze the bandwidth issue before we do that then.
    [/quote]

Well it's really a none issue, I mean slashdot or anyone could come running and wrecking our day regardless - they've done it several times to the Gentoo Forums fx. -- look interesting post.. bye bye server.

Well, what about configuring the web server to not accept requests with Slashdot as referer?

Doesnt google rate sites based on the number of other sites that link to it? Just wondering. Interviews are cool. Maybe record them and then host the file here or something as well... ???

i dont think linux juniors health is in trouble because of our user count, i think linux juniors health is in trouble because some members do not get along, and that can lead to dismissals/leavings, which is a bit sad since so many members here are very helpful and nice when we stay on topic.

Mentor

My ISP does not limit how much bandwidth I chew up. The connection speed might be a problem with a ton of hits. I could get it increased, but that costs $$$. At that point we need to look at ways of raising some cash. Probably affiliate marketing, like I did once w/ Wallmart. But let's start getting those hits first. I don't mind getting links from other sites, however I don't want to clutter this one with ads. A couple of links in the resources section is OK, but no banner ads.
    Another possible way of pulling people in is to post to newsgroups. Not spamming the newsgroups, but answering a question there and putting a plug to LJR at the end of the post.

[quote author=cloverm link=board=18;threadid=9345;start=0#msg84710 date=1087409677]
    My ISP does not limit how much bandwidth I chew up.
    [/quote]

once you get slashdotted, they might start

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=18;threadid=9345;start=0#msg84713 date=1087409924]
    [quote author=cloverm link=board=18;threadid=9345;start=0#msg84710 date=1087409677]
    My ISP does not limit how much bandwidth I chew up.
    [/quote]

once you get slashdotted, they might start
    [/quote]

One way to find out...