Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

LTSP

Thread: LTSP

LTSP

I would like to know if there is any other software which can run a thin client server just like LTSP. We are trying out LTSP in a school, and find the configuration a bit difficult, cause we need to setup up NFS and TFTP server first, then DHCPD and we have to give node entries for each client in the DHCP configuration file.

Is the entry for each client in the DHCP config file necessary, beause what is the need of assigning the same IP address to the same client. The clients could get different IPs

So is there any package available for running a terminal server or any other easy way of doing it.

Regards

Re:LTSP

hello,
    i removed the other two topics - have you looked at VNC ? I think the two are comparable, butr am not sure.

Welcome to Linux Junior!
    I hope your name is because of the band because they, needless to say kick ass. Would something as simple as SSH work for this?

Good Guru

[quote author=acdc link=board=4;threadid=9327;start=0#msg84488 date=1086917522]
    Is the entry for each client in the DHCP config file necessary, beause what is the need of assigning the same IP address to the same client. The clients could get different IPs
    [/quote]

Well, I do have a DHCP server with only 2 forced IPs (based off of MAC). The rest are all from the lease bracket (In my case 192.168.0.200 - 250). What I did to make life easier, I setup DNS locally. What I setup the DNS, I just put the 2 static IPs that I defined as

fedora-one.schotty.net
    andrew.schotty.net

The rest were all

system200.andrew.net
    system250.andrew.net.

Now as you mentioned in your post it is for a school, If you are starting a new network from scratch, the best way I can think of is subnet as much as possible. I would subnet each lab, and then each department's pc's that are in the classrooms (well, my old high school had one or two PCs in each class at most, and then several labs scattered about).

Then your DNS would be something on the order of :

system1.math.schoolname.edu
    system7.music.schoolname.edu
    system2.art.schoolname.edu
    system45.westlab.schoolname.edu

Your DHCP could be setup various ways, easiest being multiple DHCP servers for each subnet. Best being one server using MAC addresses. Foreign MACs would be at your discretion, whether you wish to forbid them (laptops, personal PCs from home, handhelds, etc.) or allow them into a special network that seriously hampers their abilities.